Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I sell a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beware Current Automotive. They are dodgy as hell. They wanted me to give them my car, sign over my title and then they were going to send me a check in 2 weeks. I said no way and then they said if I paid off my car they would pay up front. So I paid off my auto loan but it took 3-4 weeks to get the title. So this guy Seneca Giese tells me he's dropping the price because the market changed. Meanwhile I'm $20,000 into this transaction so I tell him a deal is a deal. So then he ghosts me and won't return communication.

This is a dishonest company run by dishonest people. Avoid them.

Since this was posted, I explained our position and helped ZestyChicken get a BETTER offer for his Tesla from Carvana - yes, I sent him to a competitor because they were offering more for his vehicle than our original offer over a month later. I explained that our business models are very different and they primarily make all their money on financing, since they own their lending source and that he should sell his car to them.

I'm not one to call people other names, and I understand the OP's frustration. But not considering the other side's position at all and resorting to bashing the business is poor taste in my opinion -- there are two sides to every story. I've been an active community member here since 2009, and now working hard to grow a business that supports EVs because let's face it, dealers suck. Being dishonest is not in my blood, but we do have protections in place for the business. And being able to reappraise the value of a vehicle is one of them...

In the event that the Seller(s) do not deliver the Vehicle on the date of this Agreement but instead at some future date,
Current Automotive reserves the right to re-appraise the Vehicle upon its future delivery and after such re-appraise and at
its sole election, Current Automotive may either (a) terminate this Agreement, without damages, penalties or expenses being
assessed to either party for such termination or (b) honor this Agreement for the price identified in the Agreement. Seller(s)
acknowledge that in the event the Vehicle is not delivered on the date of this Agreement but at some future date, Current
Automotive does not own the Vehicle until final delivery to Current Automotive. Current Automotive has no obligation to
insure the Vehicle until its final delivery to Current Automotive and any and all damage to the Vehicle prior to its final delivery
to Current Automotive is the sole responsibility of Seller(s), who shall maintain any and all property and liability insurance on
the Vehicle until its final delivery to Current Automotive.

upload_2019-12-4_11-1-34.png

Last edited:
Reactions: X.l.r.8
You seem to think about agreements they could get you to sign, so why didn't you get them to sign an agreement to buy your car at at a set price if you pay off the title? This would have bound you and them to a contract. I think if you tried, it would have become really clear that the offer is not valid for weeks. Think about it, why would any company give you an offer for a car, then let you drive the car for over a month, while you still retain the option to not sell it to them if you change your mind (say the car value went up) or potentially damage the car (car accident?) or put tons of miles on it. That would be horrible business - it would be like selling stock options for free.

This clearly sounds like a miscommunication, they made you an offer with money in 2 weeks, you declined, they said if you had title in hand it would be an instant transaction, but the miscommunication was you assumed the offer had no expiry date. Had you at least asked about the offer expiry date, your ordeal could have been avoided. I know you feel wronged in this case, but if you think about it, the dealer didn't gain anything from "screwing you", so it's hard to assume they did it on purpose (what would that purpose be).

EDIT: for your future reference, all trade-in offers have an expiry date, mileage limitations, and usually escape clause in case the car was to be damaged. If you ever get an offer you're not taking on the spot, ask for those details.

I'm not saying a crime was committed. I'm saying it's pretty crappy to welch on a deal when one of the parties has >$20,000 into the deal and is counting on you to hold up your end. I paid off a 2% loan, removed an aftermarket stereo upgrade, and cancelled my Tesla service agreement all in expectation of this transaction going through. When they said I could pay off the lien, they had to know this could lead to delay but never told me they were going to drop the offer as a result. I had multiple communications go ignored regarding the issue and it wasn't just the holidays.

Anyway, after I posted complaints here and Google, Current responded to my multiple unanswered texts, pointing me towards Carvana which will provide me a slightly higher offer than their original offer. As a result, I'm not going to continue bashing them further. I still think they need to improve their processes in the future and would not rec them.