Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I send messages to my favorites with the fewest steps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to use voice commands to txt people. I want to say “send txt message to Matt smith ” and have it know which Matt smith and which number I send messages to. Currently when I say that phrase it makes me go to a screen and choose which number.

How do I set this up so I don’t have to pick a phone number each time? I’ve tried adding people to favorites but that doesn’t seem to make a difference.

What am I missing in my setup or what tricks do we have to get to a simpler and easier experience?

I want to use voice commands to txt people. I want to say “send txt message to Matt smith ” and have it know which Matt smith and which number I send messages to. Currently when I say that phrase it makes me go to a screen and choose which number.

How do I set this up so I don’t have to pick a phone number each time? I’ve tried adding people to favorites but that doesn’t seem to make a difference.

What am I missing in my setup or what tricks do we have to get to a simpler and easier experience?
HI John,
Are you on iPhone or Samsung/Android as the gestures and responses might be different. I'm on iPhone, myself. As an example, I know quite a few people named "Jim", so I gave them each, nicknames. My best mate
s name is Jim so his name is "Jimbag" as in gym bag. I'll say "Hey Siri, send a text to Jimbag". Never fails and I get the proper message out.

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, I only know of two choices that you have>

1. Use the phones native assistant to send your text message, with its native voice command (hey siri / hey google)

Doing this, you can use the native commands like "Send a Text to Matt smith, Mobile" and it will work.
The downside to this is that you have to be using voice command function of the native phone, AND in the tesla interface it will look like a phone call, even though you are sending a text. The phone call interface will appear even though its a text.

I found that I didnt like this.

2. Set up a separate contact for the few people you likely are needing to text, with that separate contact having only one phone number. Then, use the voice command to text that contact using the name you gave it.

This works, but takes additional setup, as well as ends up with you having multiple contacts for the same person which many people do not find desirable.

I dont know of any other way (other than what you already found which is to use the existing contact and scroll through the list, which I am simply not going to do while driving)

Unfortunately, I only know of two choices that you have>

1. Use the phones native assistant to send your text message, with its native voice command (hey siri / hey google)

Doing this, you can use the native commands like "Send a Text to Matt smith, Mobile" and it will work.
The downside to this is that you have to be using voice command function of the native phone, AND in the tesla interface it will look like a phone call, even though you are sending a text. The phone call interface will appear even though its a text.

I found that I didnt like this.

2. Set up a separate contact for the few people you likely are needing to text, with that separate contact having only one phone number. Then, use the voice command to text that contact using the name you gave it.

This works, but takes additional setup, as well as ends up with you having multiple contacts for the same person which many people do not find desirable.

I dont know of any other way (other than what you already found which is to use the existing contact and scroll through the list, which I am simply not going to do while driving)
I am using iOS and this workaround sounds like it could work. I will try it out. Thanks