Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you apply wax/sealant?

How do you apply wax/sealant?

• Karate kid style (circular pattern, wax on/wax off)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Straight line Up/down motion

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Some other way (describe in comments).

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years ago, one of the wax/sealant companies (pretty sure it was Zaino, though I may be wrong) suggested that to get the optimum look on your car, you should apply/remove in a straight line in an up down pattern. So, on the hood, you go from windshield to bumper, and on sides from windows to bottom of car. This was different from the circular motion that is commonly done (karate kid, wax on/wax off).

Does anyone follow this routine when applying wax/sealant on their Tesla? Do you think it makes a difference. A lot has changed from back then (I’m talking about 20 years or so ago), but was curious how people are applying it these days. I still do the up/down straight lines, but wondering if I am the exception, or if there is a better way.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Years ago, one of the wax/sealant companies (pretty sure it was Zaino, though I may be wrong) suggested that to get the optimum look on your car, you should apply/remove in a straight line in an up down pattern. So, on the hood, you go from windshield to bumper, and on sides from windows to bottom of car. This was different from the circular motion that is commonly done (karate kid, wax on/wax off).

Does anyone follow this routine when applying wax/sealant on their Tesla? Do you think it makes a difference. A lot has changed from back then (I’m talking about 20 years or so ago), but was curious how people are applying it these days. I still do the up/down straight lines, but wondering if I am the exception, or if there is a better way.

Still using Zaino and generally use an oval pattern versus straight to circular. I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever, but who the heck knows!

Tim

IMG_2118.jpeg

I personally apply sealants and waxes in a crisscross pattern, first I apply it left to right, then I apply it in the same area up and down. While some experts have recommended against circular motions out of fear of inducing swirl marks, as long as your car is super clean and your applicators and microfiber towels are also clean and contaminant free, then you can probably safely do circular motions.

Your car looks great! Is the process with Zaino the same as it used to be (apply to entire car, then wipe off)? Have you tried any of the newer sealants (ceramic/graphite, etc)?

Yes same application technique. Picked up a bottle of Zaino’s newest sealant called Z-CS but have not actually tried it yet. They recommend laying down over a coat of Z-2 base so I started there as that product has always performed extremely well for me.

I don’t know if the Zaino is a ceramic, graphite, or other kind of polymer. Here’s a link if that is something t that sounds interesting to you. Z-CS Clear Seal

I’m sure there’s some great ceramic and graphite products out there too, but chose to stick with what I know. My car will look better than 95% of the M3s driving around 5 years from now, not because of the brand wax, but because I take care of it.

Tim

Reactions: f308gt4
Why is Zaino a joke? Lots of people use it, it looks good. I’ve used it in the past, a long time ago. I don’t use it anymore for a number of reasons, but I can tell you from experience that it does work, and it did make my car look good (and have the car show ribbons to prove it).

Lots of good products out there, and personal preference plays a big factor. As long as you do proper paint preparation, almost any wax/sealant on the market will look good. Just because a particular brand may not be your preference, doesn’t mean it’s not good.

Why is Zaino a joke? Lots of people use it, it looks good. I’ve used it in the past, a long time ago. I don’t use it anymore for a number of reasons, but I can tell you from experience that it does work, and it did make my car look good (and have the car show ribbons to prove it).

Lots of good products out there, and personal preference plays a big factor. As long as you do proper paint preparation, almost any wax/sealant on the market will look good. Just because a particular brand may not be your preference, doesn’t mean it’s not good.
Zaino is just rebadged duragloss