Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is Vroom warranty for a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how good the Vroom warranty is for a Model S coverage? Would the warranty cover half shafts, MCU yellowing/leaking/defects, door handles, climate control, charging port, etc.,?

Just wondering if this is a possibility as we are disappointed with how awfully Tesla treats CPO customers and looking for other options.

Vroom Protection Page

We did look into CarMax and they seem to offer a comprehensive warranty for Model S but their selection is very limited and they don't transfer vehicles out of CA, at least for now.

While Tesla requests a nonrefundable deposit for CPO cars bought sight-unseen without knowing the condition of the car or any assurance that you are buying a car that is undamaged, Vroom reconditions cars, delivers them to your home, and offers 7 days for you to decide if you like the car or they will pick it up and give your money back! Imagine that...

7 Days to Decide
Spend a week (or 250 miles) getting to know your Vroom. Take a trip, park it in your garage, drive it to work. If it’s not right, we’ll take it back.

The process was easy! The 7-day test drive gives you confidence in buying a car sight unseen, and the 3-month/6K warranty gives you complete peace of mind.​

Interesting ideas there at VROOM, things that Tesla could CERTAINLY learn from.

Tesla's trade-in AND CPO process are insultingly bad/beyond broken.

Here's our example; your comments desired.

We were going to potentially buy two new 2018 MS's to replace our two 2017's as the year end approached. Let's look at how that went . . . .

Here's one real world/real money example--they offered us under ~$82k for our 2017 P100D, this one with only 8k miles.

WHILE THIS OFFER IS IN MY INBOX, on EV-CPO.com/Classic we sorted for the newest P100D's we could find, but even the newest available were only 2016's, one model year OLDER:

Miles Price
26k $93k
23k $101k
20k $104k

So Tesla had offered us a full $22k LESS than they were selling one year OLDER P100D's, with THREE TIMES THE MILEAGE?!?

We get that Tesla has some costs in "refurbishing" trade-ins. (Well, at least they used to. Now they basically make sure they have four round-ish wheels and will drive, even if barely.)

And, as you might imagine, our MS's were in nearly new condition and would require nothing, to include tires, as we've had their original wheels/tires in storage since new. Oh, and we'd even had the PPF added, an Xpel "clear bra" for their hoods, bumpers, front fenders, mirrors, A--pillars, etc.

Obviously, not only did Tesla NOT sell us two new replacement 2018 MS's, the insultingly low offers left a sting that will fester for a while. We get that depreciation exists, but this level of insult is beyond crazy.

AND note that this is while Tesla is apparently STILL wasting buckets of money renting ICE loaners for Teslas that are in service, rather than using trade-ins, likely because they have insufficient trade-ins we'd guess?

So massively broken, in so many ways; you could call it the "lose, lose, lose, lose" option.

How can such a normally brilliant company, with so many supposedly smart people working there, be so friggin' stupid?

Just a data point re: VROOM.com, however.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at their inventory. They have this 2017 75D, a min-spec car without the Premium Pkg, or AP, or anything else besides Midnight Silver paint (and it has the base interior), at ~$67k:

Used 2017 Tesla Model S For Sale ($66,980) | Vroom

MAJOR PROBLEM:

You can build a nearly identical, brand new 2019 75D, now all of which come with the Premium Pkg as standard, and with zero miles, for only $77,500, or $78,700 after doc fee? Now let's subtract the Fed Tax Credit of $3,750, and you're at ~$75k.

It would very much appear that the Vroom Tesla is overpriced by many thousands of dollars, but there is something to be said for their return policies, extensive photographs, etc.

Suggest the OP also consider an inventory, demo, or service loaner car, IF you can stomach not knowing how badly they may, or may not, appear when it actually shows up. The value might be there, and the warranty, IIRC, begins anew, or starts with your purchase? Use ev-cpo.com/classic and sort and filter as desired!

If you need a referral code, please PM as I don't know if we're allowed to post them (but in case we are, ts.la/Mark7179 should work;-)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Does anyone know how good the Vroom warranty is for a Model S coverage? Would the warranty cover half shafts, MCU yellowing/leaking/defects, door handles, climate control, charging port, etc.,?

Just wondering if this is a possibility as we are disappointed with how awfully Tesla treats CPO customers and looking for other options.

Vroom Protection Page

We did look into CarMax and they seem to offer a comprehensive warranty for Model S but their selection is very limited and they don't transfer vehicles out of CA, at least for now.

While Tesla requests a nonrefundable deposit for CPO cars bought sight-unseen without knowing the condition of the car or any assurance that you are buying a car that is undamaged, Vroom reconditions cars, delivers them to your home, and offers 7 days for you to decide if you like the car or they will pick it up and give your money back! Imagine that...

7 Days to Decide
Spend a week (or 250 miles) getting to know your Vroom. Take a trip, park it in your garage, drive it to work. If it’s not right, we’ll take it back.

The process was easy! The 7-day test drive gives you confidence in buying a car sight unseen, and the 3-month/6K warranty gives you complete peace of mind.​

PhilDavid,

What did you end up buying? From Vroom or Tesla?

Thanks!

Interesting ideas there at VROOM, things that Tesla could CERTAINLY learn from.

Tesla's trade-in AND CPO process are insultingly bad/beyond broken.

Here's our example; your comments desired.

We were going to potentially buy two new 2018 MS's to replace our two 2017's as the year end approached. Let's look at how that went . . . .

Here's one real world/real money example--they offered us under ~$82k for our 2017 P100D, this one with only 8k miles.

WHILE THIS OFFER IS IN MY INBOX, on EV-CPO.com/Classic we sorted for the newest P100D's we could find, but even the newest available were only 2016's, one model year OLDER:

Miles Price
26k $93k
23k $101k
20k $104k

So Tesla had offered us a full $22k LESS than they were selling one year OLDER P100D's, with THREE TIMES THE MILEAGE?!?

We get that Tesla has some costs in "refurbishing" trade-ins. (Well, at least they used to. Now they basically make sure they have four round-ish wheels and will drive, even if barely.)

And, as you might imagine, our MS's were in nearly new condition and would require nothing, to include tires, as we've had their original wheels/tires in storage since new. Oh, and we'd even had the PPF added, an Xpel "clear bra" for their hoods, bumpers, front fenders, mirrors, A--pillars, etc.

Obviously, not only did Tesla NOT sell us two new replacement 2018 MS's, the insultingly low offers left a sting that will fester for a while. We get that depreciation exists, but this level of insult is beyond crazy.

AND note that this is while Tesla is apparently STILL wasting buckets of money renting ICE loaners for Teslas that are in service, rather than using trade-ins, likely because they have insufficient trade-ins we'd guess?

So massively broken, in so many ways; you could call it the "lose, lose, lose, lose" option.

How can such a normally brilliant company, with so many supposedly smart people working there, be so friggin' stupid?

You are facing fairly wicked depreciation, the first year will be steepest. There is a significant update, that hurts as well. Finally Tesla has to build in enough of a purchase discount in order to guarantee a good profit. The age of the car counts for more than condition and mileage.

It sounds as if you treat your cars as I do.

So why are you replacing yours? I’m sure it is for the Raven update and the free ludicrous upgrade. That is what tempts me.

You’ll be better off to sell privately, to a Tesla fan, someone who properly appreciates the care, the paint protection, and the low mileage.

When you sell to Tesla, you are selling wholesale, for the price of an average condition car. They may add a very modest amount for the mileage, nothing for the condition.

You feel insulted. I would as well. Your cars are no doubt as nice as when you got them. And you value them that way. The wholesale market won’t, and probably can’t, value your cars as you do. Mine too, I’ve got leather, it smells new, you can’t get leather any more. Mine is perfect. But if I trade it in, it’ll be priced as an average condition 2 year old car. I’ll take the hits for Tesla’s retail price reductions, I’ll lose the money I spent for Autopilot, for FSD, for the Xpel wrap. And I know they’ll pay me deeply discounted wholesale price and sell at maximal retail. Who’ll benefit? It’ll be a buyer who buys a used car, expects to get an average condition car, and essentially gets a new one.

I’d love to have a P100DL. So I should sell mine and buy yours, right? But I’d like the Raven as well. And the full new warranty. And there’s still some tax credit. I’d like it in my favorite color choice, maybe not yours. And I’m looking at a sales tax hit. All these things are going to affect the amount I’d be willing to pay, so I may well insult you as well. I fully appreciate the care you took of your car, and the low mileage, but if comparing to a new one, that new car paint is perfect as well and that new one will have no mileage at all.

We’ve both bought new cars and converted them to used cars. They are top condition used cars, but they are still used cars. There is nothing personal in the way these used cars are bought wholesale then and marketed retail, these companies buy and sell hundreds or thousands of them. Your two cars and my one car are worth much more to us than we’ll get trading them in. But there is nothing personal, these people don’t know you and me. These people are just looking at printouts, listings of wholesale used car prices.