Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is rear bumper fastened to body?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I let Tesla's Mobile Service replace my charge port door. All works well but I noticed yesterday when washing the 2020 MSP that the plastic/rubber bumper has pulled out some. I pressed it in and it looked some better but after about 20 miles it worked back out. They removed the tail light in-order to replace port door.

My question does anyone know how they are aligned together. A clamp or button hole or something????

I am hoping to resolve by myself as when SC works on things other things come up wrong somehow.

Thank You

M

Attachments

• IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 68
There a bolt in the fender on the left most section in the fender well and then just "bumper tab" fasteners for the majority of the rest of the arrows and then 1 bolt closer to the right most arrows from the inside of the trunk. Look at tow hitch install videos if you need better idea on how the install/removal works

Last edited:
There a bolt in the fender on the left most section in the fender well and then just "bumper tab" fasteners for the majority of the rest of the arrows and then 1 bolt closer to the right most arrows from the inside of the trunk. Look at tow hitch install videos if you need better idea on how the install/removal works
Thank you for the reply. Is there a best way to inspect the tabs? I think they are why it is sticking out.

M

Thank you for the reply. Is there a best way to inspect the tabs? I think they are why it is sticking out.

M
Not really without removing the bumper then you can see if any the tabs are torn or damaged which is preventing them from 'locking' in place. Pretty common for vehicles to have the tabs damaged and typically repaired via plastic welding or something like that.