Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much does the car of new model 3 highland long range feel like the current model S long range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Anyone here get to test drive new model 3 highland long range and model S long range back to back? how much does the car of new model 3 highland long range feel like current model S long range? Are they pretty close in term of interior and fit and finish and ride comfort?

how much does the car of new model 3 highland long range feel like current model S long range?

Pretty close to ZERO.

How close does BMW 3 series feel to 7 series? Mercedes CLA to S-class? Audi A3 to A8?
The all have 4 wheels, the rest is materially different.

Are they pretty close in term of interior and fit and finish and ride comfort?

Not at all.
Same as before the latest round of minor updates on both 3 and S.

If you have test driven both, you would not be asking this question.

Reactions: buckets0fun
From someone that owns a Highland.

Fit and finish of the Highland (made in China) is vastly superior to the model S Plaid.

Material is also very well matched if you compare the S Plaid with Highland LR (SR have different cheaper material on the doors).

S Plaid has better ride comfort, but the Highland is pretty close thanks to the new suspension system.

I wish I had the tilted screen from the S Plaid in my Highland and the instrument cluster, but other than that I couldn't be more happy with my Highland LR.

Is the S Plaid worth double the money compared to a Highland?
In my point of view, no. You get allot of car for the money with a Highland.

From someone that owns a Highland.

Fit and finish of the Highland (made in China) is vastly superior to the model S Plaid.

Material is also very well matched if you compare the S Plaid with Highland LR (SR have different cheaper material on the doors).

S Plaid has better ride comfort, but the Highland is pretty close thanks to the new suspension system.

I wish I had the tilted screen from the S Plaid in my Highland and the instrument cluster, but other than that I couldn't be more happy with my Highland LR.

thanks good to hear real owner's experience of highland instead just comparing on the spec sheets. Sounds like model 3 highland offer better buy than model S long range.

• Funny
The two I noticed quickly while testing the S Plaid was panel gaps and weather seals fitment issues that allowed some water to come in from the rain.

But that might be because it was put together in Fremont that isn't exactly known for quality work.

• Funny
I agree although I've not driven an S Plaid. I have floated around in a 2015 Model S and didn't ever like it very much.
I own a 22 M3LR and am currently in the midst of a trade for a Highland (Their new offer of allowing the FSD transfer to new car if delivered by 3-31 made me jump).
Maki, I know it's not the OP question but have you had opportunity to compare Highland to previous Model 3? It really seems more to the point.

I agree although I've not driven an S Plaid. I have floated around in a 2015 Model S and didn't ever like it very much.
I own a 22 M3LR and am currently in the midst of a trade for a Highland (Their new offer of allowing the FSD transfer to new car if delivered by 3-31 made me jump).
Maki, I know it's not the OP question but have you had opportunity to compare Highland to previous Model 3? It really seems more to the point.
I had a 2020 M3LR that I drove for 4 years.
The suspension in the 2020 was like a go-kart, while the Highland is like a BMW.

I feel more confident cornering in the Highland than I did in my 2020.

The 2020 had a lot of rattling everywhere that Tesla never managed to fix while the Highland is silent.

Reactions: ken_neth