Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much quieter is Y than 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sanddune, did you happen to test drive the i-Pace. The leftover 2019 HSE first edition models can be had for a screaming deal....very tempting, but I have yet to test drive one (least I get "the fever"...no, not Covid...new car fever!).

I drove the iPace recently. Here are my impressions:

"Had a few minutes of free time this afternoon so I dropped by my local Jag-you-arrrrr dealer to look at an i-Pace.

First thing I notice: They still have a new, untitled 2019 "First Edition" on the showroom floor - whoops.

List price $94,000+. Wow.

Interior is quite nice overall, in a Jaguar way. Nice materials, coherent design. Audio system (Meridian Surround) sounds really good. Comfortable seats, decent space. What isn't nice, IMO, is the design/functionality of the infotainment system and screens. This has been mentioned ad nauseum, but that's because it's true - it's poorly designed and laid out, slow to respond and unintuitive. The polar opposite of my Tesla's infotainment. Almost a deal-breaker, for me. The fact that a $94K car has MANUAL steering column adjusters is also surprising, and in a bad way.

Luggage space behind the rear seats is decent, though not obviously larger than my Model 3's. Yes, if you stack stuff to the ceiling or carry really bulky stuff then it has an advantage, but under the cargo cover, notsomuch. Certainly is finished better than the Tesla's trunk though.

On to the driving. I expected it to be much quieter and more refined than my car. It's actually only slightly quieter and more refined, and only in some aspects. It's clearly not nearly as fast, but the throttle response also isn't as finely judged, and it feels tall and heavy by comparison. The ride is softer, but the body control, even in "DYNAMIC", isn't as good.

The real kicker was when I tried to plug in a 400-mile road-trip destination into the NAV. It didn't really seem to know where I'd need to stop or for how long - or at least the sales dude couldn't figure out how to display that info. Huge disadvantage compared to Tesla, which tells you within seconds exactly where you'll be stopping, for how long, and the total trip duration. When I plugged that destination into abetterouteplanner (which the sales guy had never heard of), we discovered that the trip would take 2 hours and 13 minutes longer in the i-Pace than in my Tesla. 8:59 vs 6:46!

The difference is all down to the charging speed, with 2 stops and 33 minutes total charging time required for the Tesla vs. 3 stops and 2 hours 49 minutes total charging time for the i-Pace. That's a huge difference, and is a deal-breaker for my use case.

Still a very nice car and an excellent first EV for Jaguar. Hats off to them for getting it to market ahead of zee Germans. With more power, faster charging, better infotainment and a $10K lower price, I might have been tempted.

As it currently stands, I'll wait to see what Jaguar EV version 2.0 brings to the table."

It's not just gas...registration on her car is $800-900 a year here in AZ vs $250 for 5 years for EVs. We are also spending about $2000-2500 a year in maintenance. That adds up over a few years. Throw in gas on top of that and now we're close to even. AZ's cheap EV registration is set to expire in 2021 last I heard, plus factor in planned increases in FSD cost, means the Y (or CT I guess too) gets more expensive the longer we wait.

I also think cheap gas is going to artificially inflate the value of her car for a short time after COVID restrictions start to ease, but if oil producers make cuts I think the cost of gas will go through the roof in the longer term and the bottom will fall out of the SUV and truck market. So I feel like there's a relatively short window of time where her car's value will be higher and the cost of an EV will be lower than it would be otherwise in a few years. Just my opinion on that stuff, could be wrong.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish we had bought something else, or just held on to her Yukon instead of getting something new back in 2017. It's a nice car but depreciation and maintenance on it are insane. I took a huge depreciation hit on my BMW when I traded it for my Model 3, but at least BMW had maintenance included at no charge for the first 40k miles.

All this being said, I'm pretty sure we're going to end up holding off for the CT. I got her to agree to at least test drive a Y whenever they end up available in Tesla retail stores, but I'd be surprised if she bites on it to be honest.

This seems an excellent assessment to me.

Reactions: destructure00