Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 18in aero wheels scrape brake calipers on Model Y awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my 2020 model y AWD (non performance) in for service due to a humming noise, and the tesla service center found the culprit and repaired it. They told me that they also noticed that all 4 brake calipers are being scraped due to me putting on the 18in aero wheels from my 2018 model 3. My tires are Hankook kinergy 4s2 XL 235/55 R18

I'm surprised I never noticed anything considering I drove my model Y for 30,000 miles with the 18in aero wheels on. Never heard any noises or had any problems for 30k miles.

Also, I know there has been a bit of discussion regarding putting on the 18in aero wheels from a model 3 onto a model Y non performance (link), from what I've read there were only issues with load limits. There's several people that put the aero wheels on their model Y non performance and had no issues with brake calipers scraping.

Has anyone also put the 18in aero wheels on the model y non performance and experienced this brake scraping?

I have not heard of this before. A couple questions:

Do you have any suspension changes?
What did you do with the wheels? Put them back on?
Did the service center say your brake performance or function was impacted?

I’m assuming these are the 700kg load wheels as they are from a 2018 M3. I’m not sure if the interior diameter changed for the 750kg but I would doubt it.

Of the pictures I’ve seen, the brakes calipers are so close to the inside of the wheel that I wouldn’t be surprised if stick on wheel weights would make contact. Especially if they’re thick or coming loose. Making it worse would be ice or debris there.

I had a similar issue with my 2010 Honda Fit when I upgraded the brakes. My 16” wheels had two issues. One was contact from the spokes, that could easily be fixed by a 3mm spacer. The other was while the wheel itself fit over the new brakes, as soon as it rotates, the wheel weights would smash into the calipers. Luckily I was doing a test fit and rotated it by hand to check.

Wheels from different models and/or makers tend to differ in spec, so because I didn’t have he kinds of funds to constantly buy and try out various 16” wheels until I got one that cleared both issues, I just moved to the next size up and put on 17” wheels.