Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOW TO: disassemble the rear view mirror. Glass and electronics from base

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here. I'm a mech by trade, just bought a used MS 2015 70D a ew weeks ago and have been going thru it, fixing all the small issues on it.

The mirror wasn't dimming at all so I decided to try to fix it before replacing. There's not much on here about actually cracking the unit apart, only how to take it off the car and replace the whole thing.

Its easy to get off the car but the only thing I saw that was close to this was someone putting a radar display into it.

Well, here I go. Hope it helps someone out there.

1. After getting it off the car, the mirror glass and electronics (taped to back of glass) are actually held into the base unit by 10 clips. You will have to pop those clips each out and the whole unit will just slide out of the housing. I've seen a few guides that say using cards or spudgers to 'cut' through some stuff. DO NOT do this. You may mess up the mirror or electronics to FUBAR status. It seemed to be described similar to how to separate a phone screen/back (aka cutting thru glue). There is NO glue. Just 10 clips.

2) Instead, work from the bottom of the mirror, popping each clip out. You will feel/hear a distinct "click' as you pop it out. Only use a spudger/separater to hold the ones you've popped to stay open. Work your way around.

3) There are 4 each on the top and bottom, one on each end. Once you've popped off all 10, the mirror glass and components will slide right out.

4. There are two electric connectors on the unit, just unclip them and the unit will be fully separated.

5. On mine, I noticed the wires to the mirror had come loose, thus not changing the chromatic black to activate. I put a little solder (low temp, lots of plastic and glass around) to tin them up.

Put the glass back into the base and make sure each of the 10 clips lock in.

Viola! I fixed my mirror in 45min! Pictures attached so you can see.
PXL_20230516_065621028.jpg
PXL_20230516_064913050.jpg
PXL_20230516_071025241.jpg
PXL_20230516_065614428.jpg
PXL_20230516_062954518.jpg

I'm looking for something much simpler. Since you've taken it this far apart, how hard is it to simply flip the rearview 180° so it matches the \___/ shape of the rear window better? They've done this in earlier models but my '17 X sucks for rear visibility.

I'm looking for something much simpler. Since you've taken it this far apart, how hard is it to simply flip the rearview 180° so it matches the \___/ shape of the rear window better? They've done this in earlier models but my '17 X sucks for rear visibility.
I think I've seen it done. Just pay attention to the mount points and you might have to Jerry rig the ball joint hole a little? Never tried