Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to go from Martha's Vineyard to Hunt Valley MD and no NYC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really, I think my specific question is how to go from Providence RI to Harrisburg PA in the middle of the trip; the two ends seem pretty clear to me. The Tesla trip-planner apps want to take me across the Hudson in NYC but that entire route seems to cut across what I imagine to be some of the most crowded throughways in the country.

I'm not in a particular hurry (but don't want to take forever either) and am willing to add an hour or two in order to avoid what I fear to be some pretty stressful metropolitan driving so I would love to know:
1. Is it really no big deal: just man up and follow the suggested route?

2. There are less crowded routes using toll roads that aren't too bad at all?

3. The suggested NYC and Philly route is pretty bad and you guys have a safer way for me?

I will really appreciate any advice. I plan to leave Oct 25th in the morning.

Thanks a lot, both EdA and dipstick1. We've been driving MX 14393 for two years this month. It's a 90D so range has not been an issue up here, even heading to out of the way places like Brooklin ME. I'll check out your suggestions and let you know how it looks to me. Mighty neighborly of you, as we say down in my neck of the woods!

1. What about those 3Q18 numbers! Unreal!
2. Okay, what do you guys think of this? I believe it achieves my goals, even if it will take a while tomorrow. (A 90kW MX is not an option with this app. but I'm fine using the 75kW calcs; they kinda make up for my lead foot burning through the battery a little faster than average.)
Thank you again for your help.
Marth's Vineyard MA to Hunt Valley MD.png

Thanks for the good tip, tga; it looks as though I will save 26 miles and 21 minutes your way. This way also leaves open the GW Bridge option if, for some reason, that might seem to be doable. Now a tourist question, if you please:
Is there any way a guy just walking in off the street could see anything interesting in Groton, like, say, a sub? And, if so, when would I have to get back on the road again to avoid the New Haven traffic? Maybe not worth the risk?
And did I mention those 3Q18 numbers? Can't wait to see how the shorts will spin this in the morning....
Marth's Vineyard MA to Hunt Valley MD via New Haven CT.png

Yup, much better, be aware that south of New Haven 95 is generally always busy and you can take the Merritt Parkway which parallels it, but is a twisty road. I do whatever I can to avoid traffic.

Have a great trip.

Yup, much better, be aware that south of New Haven 95 is generally always busy and you can take the Merritt Parkway which parallels it, but is a twisty road. I do whatever I can to avoid traffic.

Have a great trip.
I'm with you, EdA, as far as avoiding crazy busy traffic at all costs. I suppose this Merritt Parkway will be indicated by signage in advance. I'll look out for it.
Thanks for your good wishes as well as your help. I've put in 1,600 miles in the last six days; no great shakes I understand, but not nothing either.

I've never been, but - Submarine Force Library & Museum: Submarine History, Gifts & Memorabilia

There's also the Aquarium and Seaport in Mystic. When I lived in Mystic in the early '90's I was a member at both.

Be sure to check the NYC route suggestions at the link in post #6, above. There were good suggestions there that I never thought of.
Thanks for the Sub link, tga; I'd really enjoy checking that out. I guess I can use the Google traffic indicator colors at the GW to help me determine if I want to roll the dice and go into the city. I appreciate your help.

Just wanted to follow up on the advice you guys gave me last week. I ended up following I95 along the northern shore of Long Island Sound and crossing the Hudson at Tarrytown. Traffic was slow but not impossible. I was impressed by the New Haven bridges and waterfront; looked rather futuristic to me. Biggest surprise was the high percentage of new M3s at the superchargers in that area, over 50% at Tarrytown for example. Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Reactions: David29 and EdA