Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install vinyl over your door opening switches.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brushed "metal" red looks awesome! In the photo it looks like you need to clean the spider webs off the switches! :) Looks great.

Where did you find all the patterns? (for the bit T's for example?) And having never used one of these machines, I have no idea what form the files are in (PDF, perhaps?) now how to load them, etc. I'm sure the learning curve is steep... and hopefully short?

I found a Tesla T PDF online, downloaded Inkscape for free, the learning curve for the Cricut was relatively easy. I just tinkered with different sizes, cutting the parts out of cardstock while I figured out what size would work with which location. I ended up doing a little hand cutting on the T symbols when I discovered that the different T symbols are not just different sizes, but also different proportions (I think the wheels bottom point area on the Tesla T logo is blunter than some of the other locations) I know that there are more exact patterns exist, @AMIYY4YOU has some of the more exact Tesla T patterns, I keep meaning to ask him if they are available for the public. Inkscape can take patterns in lots of formats, and save them as .SVG patterns which the online program that runs Cricut can use. It is also possible in the Cricut program to easily adjust the scale of the part to be cut.
I got the red brushed aluminum at a local (Salt Lake City) vinyl store, Vinyl outlet. they have an online presence, Brushed Red 12" x 24"
I got the "cocoon" black at a different vinyl store, Regional Supply. Not quite as online friendly
PWRAPOR975CO07060,975CO-070,ORAFOL,textured car wrap, carbon fiber, vehicle accents,975CO-070 60in BLACK COCOON,Regional Supply

I did end up buying a used Cricut just to play with the vinyl. I did the switches and area around the switches in a textured black called cocoon, did the door switch in brushed red. Also did the center "T" on my wheels, the "T" on the side camera mounts, and the front and back Tesla T on the car in red as well. Just a splash of color really makes a difference. I also like the "push the red button" to tell people how to get out of the car
View attachment 348622
Well, I did it to! Just ordered my Cricut. Already have some vinyl. Ordered some of this great brushed red too.... now I just need to learn what the heck I'm doing. It would sure be great if we had a repository for all the Tesla patterns that are in the public space. When I see folks taking files and modifying them to suit (like just isolating the buttons, etc), it would be great to share.... what I plan to do once (again) I figure out what I'm doing.

Reactions: DrAtomic
Well, I did it to! Just ordered my Cricut. Already have some vinyl. Ordered some of this great brushed red too.... now I just need to learn what the heck I'm doing. It would sure be great if we had a repository for all the Tesla patterns that are in the public space. When I see folks taking files and modifying them to suit (like just isolating the buttons, etc), it would be great to share.... what I plan to do once (again) I figure out what I'm doing.
That sounds like a good plan. The basic designs for window and door switches as well as console patterns are in a github location, but I know there have been some improvements made. I am tied up for a couple of days, but by the end of the weekend I will put together what I have and find a spot to share it. I know there are others who also have designs, once we get a common location, let’s pass the word around and see who has fun stuff to share.

I hesitate going over to the existing thread you mentioned. As far as I can tell, 38 page forum, and the majority of the conversation has to do with when one vinyl kit or another will be available on Amazon. :). OK, that is a major exaggeration, @Kenriko and @AMIYY4YOU have been doing a lot of work creating patterns for the Tesla, but they are so busy with other matters (reasonable enough) that only a small number of patterns are saved to the github site. That site might be a good place to add other patterns, we will have to see if Kenriko will allow other designs to be added, or if there are any other public locations for patterns.