Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to replace FWD glass top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the write up! I just did it and here are my notes:

You only need a few tools:
  • 10mm socket
  • T25 torx bit (magnetic if possible!)
  • 1/4in ratchet and long 6” extension

Once you remove all the plastic pieces that are in the way, even the tight fit areas are no problem.

I loathe the brass colored retaining clips that Tesla and other automakers use. Luckily my 2019 trim is not so brittle, but I wouldn’t be surprised if these snapped off when pulling them out.

Re different revisions: I tried to get one as close as possible to my 2019 X. And, the bolt pattern was different for 2 bolts (in the corners). I was able to cut them off and secure the window with the remaining 8 bolts. We’ll see if it holds up. I think it will since this piece isn’t water tight (or so Tesla says when the gasket deteriorates). See photo for difference.

Tape the U trim price that just hangs there to the top of the falcon door. It got in my way and was really annoying.

And random, the most unexpected thing happened. The first Utrim piece that you take off (that can be completely removed) was causing a majority of my rattles. I had to stop midway and I drove with that piece off and it was quieter than I’ve ever experienced. I haven’t driven it back with everything out back together but will have to investigate this further if there are rattles. At first glance, I couldn’t see why this piece was making so much noise.

Attachments

• IMG_4469.jpeg
    IMG_4469.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4470.jpeg
    IMG_4470.jpeg
    486.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Informative
Reactions: henderrj