Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to stop spam calls on your landline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got rid of my land line a few years ago, but even when I had it, I never used it for anything other than making calls to places I didnt want to get my cell phone number (lol).

The company I had my land line through (verizon, at the time) had a web portal where you could perform some small administration actions. It had a feature where you could set your landline to only ring for certain phone numbers... up to 10 I think it was.

I set it up so only family members phone numbers actually rang on the land line, and and any other calls were discarded. Solved the spam call problem on land line for me, but I didnt give that number to anyone but family, so anyone that had it was a spammer, thus why I set it up that way.

Check into whoever provides your land line to see if they have some online management capabilities, or consider getting rid of it and porting the number to a cell line, where there is more functionality on blocking all calls except people on your contact lists, etc.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I ported my landline number to Ooma, which is a VoIP service.

It's a one time charge of $99 for the Ooma box you hook up to your home internet (cheaper if you wait and buy it on Black Friday). I plug my cordless Panasonic base station into the Ooma box and have 4 handsets thru-out the house.

Ooma basic service (inbound and outbound calling) is free, but you do have to pay applicable local taxes and 911 fees. Where I live this is about $6.80 per month.

If you add on the Ooma premier service for $9.99 per month, you get several additional nice features, one of which is filtering your callers against a national spam registry. During election season, I get no robocalls.

Since I was paying BellSouth $45 per month for basic home phone service, switching to Ooma + premier at $17 per month saved me money and enhanced the features available to me. Plus, with a VoIP based phone number, you can go anywhere in the world and that number stays with you.

Reactions: CapsEngineer