Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do these lugs work on the latest Wallbox EVSE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this is wiring diagram.
I forgot to post this last picture from the Mercedes Wallbox manual

Anybody knows where should I connect the ground (green) wire to the Wallbox charger?

I really appreciate your help

Oh wow... you actually got this paper manual in your Wallbox? Lol this would have been super helpful...

I wonder why me just ramming the stripped-of-insulation-conductors into those openings didn't feel very snug. Oh well, it's some eBay buyer's problem now hah.

Thank you Rocky,
Yes, you are correct hardwired is the best way.

I just opened the 4-prong plug on the wall and there are the same number of wires behind it connected on it.
Red, Black, White and Green.
It looks like they are all gauge 6 wires.

Same as before, I have 4 wires on the wall side and 3 stations on the wallbox charger device to connect them.

So, based on your recommendation: I should cap the white and do not connect it to anything?

Isn't that I should have L1 Black positive and L2 Red positive, White negative and Green ground?
Maybe I am mistaking.

Thank you Rocky,

I just opened the 4-prong plug on the wall and there are the same number of wires behind it connected on it.

Same as before, I have 4 wires on the wall side and 3 stations on the wallbox charger device to connect them.

So, based on your recommendation: I should cap the white and do not connect it to anything?

Isn't that I should have L1 Black positive and L2 Red positive, White negative and Green ground?
Maybe I am mistaking.

I don't mean to sound offensive... so please consider I'm just a random internet user that has positive intent.

I think if you're asking these questions... you may want to get an electrician out to your house to do this Wallbox EVSE install. That way, a professional can make 100% sure all the other parts of the install (beyond just which color wires goes where) meets compliance with local codes. And hopefully, the conductors fit in snuggly when they are jammed into those colored ports on the MB Wallbox.

If you're not 100% committed to the Wallbox, I still think the Tesla Gen 3 Universal Charger (with both a built-in J1772 adaptor and NACS plug) is the better EVSE. It's got the best features and normal lugs. The only thing it would lack is integration with the Mercedes ME app.

That is intended to be a hard wired device instead of a cord-and-plug type, so you're already violating the manufacturer's installation instructions, and thereby violating electric code as well.

That "problem" is because it's not meant to be connected to a 14-XX outlet.

Yes, those are the Hot1 and Hot2.

That's a wrong connection. The white wire is for neutral in the 14-50 circuit. The wall connector does not use neutral at all. That white wire should just be capped off and not connected.

The green wire from that 14-50 cord is the ground. It should go to the ground connection in your wall connector.
Thank you Rocky,

Maybe I am mistaking.

Could it be also possible that this wallbox is the European version wallbox and not the USA version?
I believe in Europe they have 240 volt with 2 lines + ground, but here in the US, we have 240 volt with three lines + ground

I don't mean to sound offensive... so please consider I'm just a random internet user that has positive intent.

I think if you're asking these questions... you may want to get an electrician out to your house to do this Wallbox EVSE install. That way, a professional can make 100% sure all the other parts of the install (beyond just which color wires goes where) meets compliance with local codes. And hopefully, the conductors fit in snuggly when they are jammed into those colored ports on the MB Wallbox.

If you're not 100% committed to the Wallbox, I still think the Tesla Gen 3 Universal Charger (with both a built-in J1772 adaptor and NACS plug) is the better EVSE. It's got the best features and normal lugs. The only thing it would lack is integration with the Mercedes ME app.
I am not offended at all Holey,
I am just trying to get things done when I get my head into it. Now this is my challenge. and will resolve it.
I just dont want to make a mistake and burn it out.

The reason you have 4 wires is that the 14-50 plug can provide 120VAC and 240VAC. The voltage is 120VAC Black to White and 120VAC Red to White and 240VAC Black to Red. You don't need the 120V, so you only use the Red, Black and Green wires. Cap the White wire so it doesn't short to anything.

In Europe, the power is 230VAC, Hot, Neutral and Ground. If three phase, it's three hots, all 230VAC from the Neutral and 400V between any two hot lines.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The reason you have 4 wires is that the 14-50 plug can provide 120VAC and 240VAC. The voltage is 120VAC Black to White and 120VAC Red to White and 240VAC Black to Red. You don't need the 120V, so you only use the Red, Black and Green wires. Cap the White wire so it doesn't short to anything.

In Europe, the power is 230VAC, Hot, Neutral and Ground. If three phase, it's three hots, all 230VAC from the Neutral and 400V between any two hot lines.
Thank you Mimura for clarifying.
I really appreciate it.

Oh, right. For an existing outlet, that's the right stuff that would be in there.

Maybe I am mistaking.
No, that's not what the white is. It's not "negative". The white is neutral, which is a midpoint at 0 volts between the two hot sides. So if you reeeealy wanted to use the term "negative", you could kind of use it for one of the two hot wires, if you want to call them positive and negative. There is 240V between those two, and that is all that the wall connector needs. It doesn't use the neutral at all. That is only needed if you have to have 120V for some reason, but the wall connector doesn't--it's 240V only. So just put a wire nut or electrical tape over that white wire to safely take it out of the picture.

Oh, right. For an existing outlet, that's the right stuff that would be in there.

No, that's not what the white is. It's not "negative". The white is neutral, which is a midpoint at 0 volts between the two hot sides. So if you reeeealy wanted to use the term "negative", you could kind of use it for one of the two hot wires, if you want to call them positive and negative. There is 240V between those two, and that is all that the wall connector needs. It doesn't use the neutral at all. That is only needed if you have to have 120V for some reason, but the wall connector doesn't--it's 240V only. So just put a wire nut or electrical tape over that white wire to safely take it out of the picture.
Thank you