Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does chrome delete wrap hold up around the mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visited a local wrap installer to get a consult on colour change wrap, PPF, and chrome delete that I'm looking to have done on my Model 3. The installer recommended against proceeding with the chrome delete. He has found that the wrap starts to lift around the mirrors within a few months of installation because of the swivelling action. He has not wrapped a Model 3, mind you, but a Model S and remarked that since the mirrors appear to be the similar, he expects the results will be the same. For those of you that have wrapped the chrome on your car, how has it held up?

I noticed a small section came off of the driver side mirror the day after I had mine done. It's been about a month and so far so good with everything else. Had my delete guy fix the mirror only a couple days ago. We'll see how it holds up over time.

There are lots of ways to wrap handles, especially variations in the only extended outside and only extended inside. Mine appear to have been wrapped from the extended inside first, then the extended outside and exterior face in one piece. There is a slight seam inside the handle when exposed, not visible and not easily felt unless you run your fingers toward the outside where you would never grip. They look new fifteen months in, but one is starting to rub on the inside paint.

Plastidip does not hold up. I see some terrible peeled plastidip around.

To do handles right you need to buy old metal handles and have them stripped so that when they are powder coated they are the original outside thickness. But labor on door handle removal and replacement is not cheap. Also Tesla supposedly went away from metal handles because they held too much heat. I can't imagine opening my black metal handles after they'd been in 130 degree sun for a few hours.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Spray coatings will not hold up on high-touch surfaces. They're intended to peel off cleanly using just your hands, so using your hands on those surfaces regularly will peel it off. I did some interior pieces in a car several years ago, and the areas that get touched have all chipped apart, while the areas that are never touched have noting wrong at all.

Vinyl wrap is not an issue on the pivoting mirrors. There's more than enough clearance between the two pieces of the chromed trim for the vinyl to not touch. The problems people have is that they're using wrappers that use pre-cut kits, or they're piecing parts together with in-lays and over-lays that are poorly matched and placed. If you expose the edge of a vinyl wrap to the wind, it will start to peel, which will cause it to catch on other pieces of vinyl. At that point, the job is ruined.

On top of that, if your wrapper isn't disassembling the mirror housing, they're going to do a garbage job. You can not properly wrap these mirrors without disassembling them. Period. Make sure your shop is pulling them apart, and make sure they'll cover any damage they might do if this is their fist Model 3. By pulling the trip off, they will be able to wrap around the corners rather than just up to the corners, which will prevent wind from catching the edges and peeling it off. This trim is all do-able with a single piece, so if you see in-lays or seams, your shop needs to re-do the work.

Maybe a hybrid approach would work - wrap the trim and door handles and paint the mirrors. Gotta match the color though. I have the 18" wheels (aeros off) and really like he gun metal color, and would like to have the trim match that. However, the potential of this wrap and paint peeling off the mirrors and handles have prevented me from trying it. I palstidipped the wheels in aluminum metal to match the chrome trim and I think it looks good but would rather they match in the wheels original color. So, now waiting for the plastidip to start peeling and try the chrome delete.

I want to hear about this, how they've been holding up if anyone has done this.

My plan is vinyl wrap them in body colour but same difference (unless you're using pasti-dip for your delete).

I've had the pre-cut handle wraps from RPM Tesla installed for about a month now with no peeling issues. Granted, I'm fairly careful when opening the doors to avoid the tip, which is where the most fragile part is. The rest of the handle is wrapped pretty thoroughly so I don't have to worry for the most part.