Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Install Issue (Terminal Screw)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine just gave me a HPWC (Elon signed edition) as he got 2 from referrals. I just put it up and I'm trying to connect the wires to the L1 & L2 terminals. L2 tightens up just fine, however, when I tighten the L1 screw the terminal does not tighten around the wire. The wire is still completely loose. Any ideas?

Well, never mind. I found an old thread on this and I used a tip from there to get it working. I put a dental mirror up under the terminal block to see what was happening. For anyone that may have this issue in the future, as you tighten the screw it brings a plate from the BACKSIDE toward you and the screw head. Therefore, in order to get the plate in the correct position before you put the wire in, you must first completely loosen the screw and then push it in which will push the plate to the rear. You must keep the screw pushed in while you insert the wire (a third hand would be helpful here). The plate in my L2 connection stayed in the back of the terminal as I loosened the screw, so that one was easy. But the L1 plate was much looser and fell forward as I unscrewed it.