Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing HPWC - is conduit required in-wall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I intend to install a HPWC in my garage. My breaker box is on the side of the garage and I'll be installing the HPWC directly below it, a total run of 4-5ft.

I plan on using 4g for L1+L2, and 8g for the ground. My question is about running the wiring in the wall. If it is going straight down from the box and coming out of the wall below it into the HPWC do I need to run it in conduit or put a box in the wall where it exits? I assumed it would be a matter of running the three wires down, out a 1" hole in the wall into the back of the HPWC and nothing else. Is that correct? Thanks!

My understanding is that the wire inside the wall either needs to be in conduit, or needs to be a jacketed cable like Romex approved for such use. I'm also pretty sure there's no way to skip using a box where you exit the wall, either.

One way to make it easier is to run the conduit on the wall instead of in the wall. For a garage, that doesn't bother me personally.

My understanding is that the wire inside the wall either needs to be in conduit, or needs to be a jacketed cable like Romex approved for such use. I'm also pretty sure there's no way to skip using a box where you exit the wall, either.

One way to make it easier is to run the conduit on the wall instead of in the wall. For a garage, that doesn't bother me personally.

Yes, it needs to be in conduit or jacketed like NM-B. You can exit the wall directly into the back of the HPWC, assuming you add the appropriate wire clamp.

Reactions: Rocky_H