Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huawei Phone as Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else tried this phone? I have a Huawei Mate 20 Pro and it doesn't seem to get recognized by the car. Not sure if there are any settings I can change other than turning on app power saving. Any info would be helpful!

I’d get a different phone that won’t hack/spy on you... have you not read the news that China is using Huawei to steal your info and US intellectual property?

Not really asking about phone safety in this thread but thanks for the heads up I guess. I am not overly concerned Paranoia will destroy us: Why Huawei and other Chinese tech is not spying on Americans | ZDNet

Don't want to change the topic of this thread but if you are worried about phones manufactured in china spying on you wouldn't this preclude using phones from Apple, Samsung, LG and everyone else who manufacture their equipment in China? Isn't your telecom provider vacuuming all your meta data already? What about google? Facebook? Apple? They don't snoop on what you do on your phone?

Also, you can readily purchase Huawei phones in my home country (Norway) from all their large telecom operators so I doubt the threat is of that much concern.

Huawei phones are very aggressive when it comes to killing apps and disabling features to extend battery life. It's probably killing the Tesla app's background processes needed for the Model 3 to authenticate.

I'll disable all power saving for the app and see how it works. Battery is already lasting several days worth of use so hopefully that won't be an issue. Thanks for the suggestion.