Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebooted iPhone, now doesn’t work as key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Today I had to reboot my iPhone 14 pro (volume up then volume down then hold the side button) because it was laggy.

Now the iPhone doesn’t work as key. I went ahead and deleted the phone as key from the car menu. But when I want to add it the car tells me to open the phone app to do so.

I open the app and nothing happens. Bluetooth is connected and I can lock and unlock the car from the app. But i have to use the card key to start the car.

What am I doing wrong here? Please please help me. I made an appointment with Tesla to fix this but if someone had a similar experience or a fix, then I prefer not to go through with my Monday appointment.

I think it has something to do with this part of the phone app.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.png
    IMG_0541.png
    378.9 KB · Views: 144
If it was me, I would remove the car from the Bluetooth settings then sign out of the App then delete the app. Then force restart the phone and then download, reinstall the app and then log in again.

But before doing that in the car I would remove the phone as a key and remove the phone from Bluetooth and force restart the car. Making sure that the phone is nowhere near the car at this point.

After both devices ( car and phone) are rebooted restart the pairing process.
Phone as key and phone on Bluetooth

That is what I would do.

For future reference this is how I fixed this problem:

1. Disconnected bluetooth on the car and on the iPhone App. I told both the car and iPhone to forget the device.
2. I logged out of the iPhone Tesla App.
3. This is the most important part. I UNINSTALLED THE APP FROM MY IPHONE.
4. Downloaded the iPhone Tesla App again.
5. Signed back into the Tesla iPhone App.
5. Connected the phone as key from the car.
6. NOW the iPhone can see it and connect to the car as key.
7. Reconnected bluetooth for streaming/radio/podcast function.
8. Loud yelling and screaming from the car. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY.

For the future, please NEVER EVER use the up volume, down volume, side button to reboot your iPhone. That will break the connection with the Tesla "phone as key." Just shut it down normally.

Welcome to Apple vs Tesla!! Lol
If it makes you feel any better, I have recently had the opposite problem. My android phone is linked to my profile and is marked as the priority device. Lately, whenever my wife (with her iPhone) is with me in the car, it switches to her profile. I can manually change back to my profile, which corrects my seat position, but if I have started driving, I can't change out of creep mode until the next time I park.

So I am not sure it is a matter of Apple vs Tesla.

If it makes you feel any better, I have recently had the opposite problem. My android phone is linked to my profile and is marked as the priority device. Lately, whenever my wife (with her iPhone) is with me in the car, it switches to her profile. I can manually change back to my profile, which corrects my seat position, but if I have started driving, I can't change out of creep mode until the next time I park.

So I am not sure it is a matter of Apple vs Tesla.
rookie comment, but you know that you can select the "priority device" - right? It's a setting.

So my iphone updated last night to ios 17.1.2 and my phone connection to the car is broken again. This is so aggravating.

My wife and I both have iphones, and have had various ones since we started owning Teslas. I havent ever had any phone update break the phone key function on either car, for either iPhone, including this one you mention.

There sounds like something else going on with your phone / car.

Reactions: mark02115