Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Software Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Tried to view some of my Sentry mode videos via the launcher, talk about a pain. It froze half the time and rewound itself or wouldn't even play or let me delete them. So I did a reset, holding down both steering wheel buttons until the Tesla logo appeared on the display. Then the screen said I didn't have any map data, so I reset it again. Then it lost all my personal settings, the name of my car, the odometer mileage, my music streaming settings and the map showed the car was at Tesla headquarters in Fremont. And the app on my iPhone says mobile access is denied, which means it also was reset. WTF?! This is the downside to a software based vehicle!

So now what am I supposed to do? Somehow I have to find time in my day to contact Tesla and drive it the 2 hours to the closest service center and 2 hours back home, if I can even get in this week and they don't have to keep the vehicle. And if they do have to keep it overnight or longer, I will have to pay for a rental car to get home because they don't give out loaners anymore! Or can I try to get a mobile service appointment but they have been backlogged. I am beyond frustrated right now with Tesla!!!

This looks like a factory reset?
I wonder how this could be possible unless you can activate the Service Mode used by the Tesla Service Center.

I imagine that the Service Center will be able to remotely update the sotware back to the current version unless there is a real hardware defect.
On the flip side, you might get back a car with zero miles like a brand new car?

About Sentry, often the memory chip get corrupted because of overheating. Did you used an USB memory or an High Endurance Micr SD Card ?

Last edited:
I did not activate the Service Mode and yes it looks like it did a factory reset. I've looked over some other posts about this issue, numerous people have had this same thing happen after doing a soft reboot. But most likely after it does a factory reset, you can't get your settings back and have to manual do them all over again...and this doesn't make me happy.

I use the Jeda 256GB SSD inside their HUB. It's not overheating and a quality SSD designed for video. Many others have talked about how terrible the Sentry viewer is. Mine had this same issue prior to getting the Jeda SSD, so the SSD isn't the issue. Tesla just put together a crappy Sentry viewer in car and hasn't done anything to improve it. Just like they haven't improved the quality of the front and side camera video, when just adding a digital cool filter to the Sentry video would make it much better. But if they just went with better cameras all around that would be best.

Don't get me wrong, I do love my Tesla but hate the software bugs and hate it even more when they aren't fixed quickly.

Last edited:
Okay, so I was finally able to manually enter most of my personal settings back into my car. Set up the app so my iPhone is the keycard, all over again. Had to put my passwords back in for Netflix and Youtube. Still don't have the right GPS location, shows me at Tesla HQ and even though the info about my car in the settings shows I have FSD, those settings are greyed out and I can't turn them on. Made a mobile service appointment but nothing was open until two weeks from now...what the heck Tesla, waiting two weeks is unacceptable! I absolutely hate that appointments are made only via app, I want to talk to a person!

Drove my car today and my GPS location corrected itself. Was also able to turn on my FSD settings, so NOA works again. But the strange thing is that some the settings I made last night didn't stick and I had to set them all over again today. Either way, the 2 scroll wheel reboot should not have resulted in a factory reset of my car. Tesla needs to get their heads out of their butts and fix this issue!