Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the odometer hidden?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to get my Model 3 to display the odometer on the homescreen while driving?

If I want to see it while driving, it's unsafe to have to go fish for it in the software screen and then have that screen obscure the map.

Is there an easier way to see the odometer than going to the software menu? Would love to have it permanently on the home screen/driving screen/whatchamacallit.
Having a trip meter there would be great too.

I can't answer the question "Why is it hidden", but I can offer this: it's another one of those things that after not having it for awhile, you realize that the only reason you want it there is that's how it's always been, but there really isn't a huge need to see it while driving. In fact, it seems like the only time I actually do need it at all any more is when I'm at the tire shop or a non-Tesla service center of some kind (for annual inspection for example) and they ask what my current odo is. And for that, I just look in my app. With modern nav systems, I am having trouble even thinking of a scenario where I would actually need it while driving (I guess in the old days, it was fun to watch it "flip" to a milestone reading like 100,000 miles or something like that).

I can't answer the question "Why is it hidden", but I can offer this: it's another one of those things that after not having it for awhile, you realize that the only reason you want it there is that's how it's always been, but there really isn't a huge need to see it while driving. In fact, it seems like the only time I actually do need it at all any more is when I'm at the tire shop or a non-Tesla service center of some kind (for annual inspection for example) and they ask what my current odo is. And for that, I just look in my app. With modern nav systems, I am having trouble even thinking of a scenario where I would actually need it while driving (I guess in the old days, it was fun to watch it "flip" to a milestone reading like 100,000 miles or something like that).
Yeah, agreed, you make some good points. Thanks for that. But "it's always been that way" is a good enough reason for me! Mostly because I like to do stupid little math games with the mileage, especially on long drives- calculating what mileage I'll be at when I get to Syracuse, what I'll be at when I finish the trip, etc. And FWIW, one time I was driving to a college girlfriend's house 5 states away, and when I left I realized my car might turn over 100,000 miles in her driveway at the end of the day, and it did. It helped that her driveway was about a mile and a half long.

And I go for stretches not being able to guess within 10,000 miles what our mileage is (it's mostly my wife's car) and then sometimes I'm surprised to see what it is. I also thought it might be a way to gauge how many miles I'm going versus what the predicted range is, since it's never a 1:1 correlation, and then I can also better estimate my true range in super cold weather, the mountains, etc.

I snooped around the forum to make sure this hadn't been answered before, and I found a few people reporting huge variances in mileage as tracked by the odometer versus reality. When I was reading about those, I wondered if the odo was hidden deliberately to keep people from discovering the odomoeter is as inaccurate as the predicted range is. Drove Chicago-Milwauke-Chicago last night and was glad to see my odometer is 100% accurate. But I coulda done that in my head if I could see it all at once instead of having to take pictures of the touchscreen.

I do know what you mean by playing math games with the odo--things like figuring out what the odometer will read when you reach the city that you just saw a mileage sign for. These days I've found different ways to keep "entertained" using the nav system's display rather than the odometer, although it seems to do most of the work for you. The trip energy display is a fun one though. I have one of my icon slots dedicated to that one!

Reactions: Mikedrives
Under Trips tick the check box to display total miles, current trip and since charge. All three will now be displayed in the flip cards.
Thanks for that. Very helpful. Apparently I did that years ago and forgot, and also forgot that you can swipe sideways to see the other cards.

And then while re-learning that, I accidentally swiped the cards down and away and I can't figure out how to get them back. I got out and shut the car down and started up again, twice, but they haven't come back. Maybe tomorrow?

The "cards" on the lower left part of the screen can be switched between audio system, total and trip odometers, and tire pressure by swiping left or right.
Thanks! That's great.

Next level question: While re-learning the swiping, I accidentally swiped the cards down and away and I can't figure out how to get them back. Tried swiping in all directions- nothing. I got out and shut the car down and started up again, twice, but I can't find them. Do you know a trick for that?

I accidentally swiped the cards down and away and I can't figure out how to get them back.

should be a music note or similar along the bottom left. Touch that.
Thanks! Somebody else posted a link to another post that included this picture.
card_icon.jpg

Reactions: brkaus
Thanks for that! In that threa, they posted this picture which was helpful because usually the car's not here for me to run out and try to find stuff.
card_icon.jpg