Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Husband vs wife on app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UI is unclear and bluetooth is complicated. I think the "associations" work like this:

• Each phone key --> unlocks the car and can select an associated driver profile.
  • Each driver profile --> has seat settings and can select a "preferred bluetooth device" for the purpose of audio streaming, phone calls, text messages, and contacts. That connection requires "bluetooth pairing" to the car.
Supposedly the first phone key to connect determines which driver profile the car will use (not the phone nearest to the driver's door/seat), but this doesn't always work out.

Sometimes these associations get broken, not to mention when you get a new phone. So if it's not working right, do check that both of these associations are set up for your phone, and consider removing that phone as a key and re-adding it.

Tip: If one of you is shorter than the other, you can set that profile to use Easy Entry so the taller spouse doesn't revisit the Star Wars trash compactor every time the car picks the wrong profile.
I've definitely noticed that the bluetooth audio connection can be further away than the key connection. At home, with my car in the garage, we have the walkaway car lock active. It locks when I'm still in the garage, in front of the car. If I leave my phone in a room further away, I can't go to the car and open the door. However, if I have my phone, unlock the car, and sit down, I might interrupt my wife's phone conversation which switches to the car's speaker until I can switch it off. But all the while, it's using my phone for the key. I don't know the technical aspects of why it works, but I've played around enough to observe the effects. It's not just distance that it uses for locks; it seems to lock quickly when I'm standing right in front of the car, but I have to be further away if I'm on the side of the car or behind it.

Upvote 0
I've definitely noticed that the bluetooth audio connection can be further away than the key connection. At home, with my car in the garage, we have the walkaway car lock active. It locks when I'm still in the garage, in front of the car. If I leave my phone in a room further away, I can't go to the car and open the door. However, if I have my phone, unlock the car, and sit down, I might interrupt my wife's phone conversation which switches to the car's speaker until I can switch it off. But all the while, it's using my phone for the key. I don't know the technical aspects of why it works, but I've played around enough to observe the effects. It's not just distance that it uses for locks; it seems to lock quickly when I'm standing right in front of the car, but I have to be further away if I'm on the side of the car or behind it.

Maybe your driver profile is no longer set to "prefer" your phone for bluetooth audio even though your phone key is still set to pick your profile. This happened in my car -- maybe one of those random side effects during a software update. It's worth checking to see if it's still set correctly in your car. (One time I also had to go through the steps to remove my wife's phone key twice then re-add it for it to work again.)

I don't remember the steps, so linking to the Owner's Manual: Here are the pages explaining how to (1) add a phone key, then (2) link a key -> driver profile, then (3) pair a bluetooth phone, and then (4) hmm, the current manual does not seem to have instructions to set up the profile's preferred bluetooth calling device. IIRC there's a star in the Bluetooth menu.

• Helpful
Reactions: Marty3SR+
Upvote 0
Maybe your driver profile is no longer set to "prefer" your phone for bluetooth audio even though your phone key is still set to pick your profile. This happened in my car -- maybe one of those random side effects during a software update. It's worth checking to see if it's still set correctly in your car. (One time I also had to go through the steps to remove my wife's phone key twice then re-add it for it to work again.)

I don't remember the steps, so linking to the Owner's Manual: Here are the pages explaining how to (1) add a phone key, then (2) link a key -> driver profile, then (3) pair a bluetooth phone, and then (4) hmm, the current manual does not seem to have instructions to set up the profile's preferred bluetooth calling device. IIRC there's a star in the Bluetooth menu.
Thanks, but I stopped using the preferred setting. For one thing, my wife is the main driver for the car, as she commutes to work. So, she would be the preferred driver anyway.

I have had to relink keys a lot, mainly mine when I was troubleshooting an app problem and had to uninstall/reinstall the app several times to try different versions. But we have 3 drivers in my family, and I'm the goto person for all things technical.

Upvote 0
It's confusing. Your profile can prefer your phone for calling without disturbing her profile's preferred phone.
Ha, ha, one of many confusing things about the software. They could probably make it a lot more intuitive, but my experience with client/server software companies is they seem to favor the server side, and think the GUI stuff is simple. Disclaimer: I used to be a GUI programmer where the head of the dept was a server guy.

Reactions: Transformer
Upvote 0