Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC blasting on defrost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the car out today (75F) and noticed a problem with the HVAC. For 3 years, it's always been set on auto and around 72-74 which is amazing since my other cars always had manual controls. The HVAC came on and it seemed abnormally loud inside. After a half mile or so I hit the controls to see the fan is at 9 and it's blasting cold air on the windshield (defrost). I let it be figuring it would adjust itself but after a few minutes I was over the noise and set it to manual, fan back to 3, and to blow out the dash. It isn't hot in the car anyway. Any time I put it back in auto, the fan goes on high and it reverts to defrost. This isn't right. I can't recall when this started happening since I don't drive the car much. The other half thinks it started happening after Tesla replaced the windshield, but I don't see how that would be related. I was guessing software, but I don't see other posts here about this and I can't remember the last time I did an update. Currently on 2021.32.22.

I did the two button reset and also a "Power off" and no change to this behavior.

suggestions beside Tesla service?

I am experiencing the same thing, only at a lower temperature (8 degrees Celcius here in Switzerland) and with the fan at 6 blowing air on the windshield only when in auto mode. I also just had the windshield replaced! Coincidence? Up until now I was happy with leaving the HVAC on auto, now less so. Any ideas out there?

I am experiencing the same thing, only at a lower temperature (8 degrees Celcius here in Switzerland) and with the fan at 6 blowing air on the windshield only when in auto mode. I also just had the windshield replaced! Coincidence? Up until now I was happy with leaving the HVAC on auto, now less so. Any ideas out there?

Try this thread, which has a few people who were able to resolve this issue I think:

send a note to Tesla service stating you got a new windshield, link this thread, and ask them to re-push your current firmware before you set up an appointment in the hopes of not wasting a tech's time.

I went back to the garage (not Tesla, but Tesla certified) and they quickly acknowledged the problem. Their solution was to replace the sensor (L-shaped PCB behind rear view mirror) with the one from the broken windshield. This solved the problem. Pragmatic approach, but definitely not the intended way.