Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC using 5% energy in 10 minutes?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cabin temperature 0C
Outside temperature -4C, car slighty frozen.
I set the temperature to 20C, defrost, 10 minutes before driving off, from the app.

After 10 minutes when I leave for work I noticed the car used 5% battery energy. From 59% to 54%.

Is that a normal usage? 5% energy from a new LR to bring the cabin from 0 degrees to 20 in cold temperature? Is there anyway to calculate how much exactly HVAC system uses?

Do you have any advices on how to use hvac to minimize consumption?

Thanks in advance.

The energy page should show you energy usage, and it’s very likely more energy went into heating the battery than the cabin. The car will automatically pre-heat the battery with the cabin to maintain an optimal battery temperature.

It’s best to leave the car plugged in for preconditioning!

Cabin temperature 0C
Outside temperature -4C, car slighty frozen.
I set the temperature to 20C, defrost, 10 minutes before driving off, from the app.

After 10 minutes when I leave for work I noticed the car used 5% battery energy. From 59% to 54%.

Is that a normal usage? 5% energy from a new LR to bring the cabin from 0 degrees to 20 in cold temperature? Is there anyway to calculate how much exactly HVAC system uses?

Do you have any advices on how to use hvac to minimize consumption?

Thanks in advance.

Winter uses more energy than Summer so you just have to adjust to make sure you will not be stranded on the road.

Seat heaters may lessen your use of cabin heater.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Kimmi
As Lindenwood says, most probably a lot of that energy went to battery heating. When you precondition the cabin, Tesla have decided to also warm the battery up to 5-10C (I don't remember the exact temperature and it might vary with updates) so that it can accept reasonable regen and be generally efficient for driving. There is no way to turn that off. The control you have is to start the cabin conditioning closer to when you start driving or to leave the car plugged so it charges up to compensate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H