Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Temperature Settings - Only Even Degrees Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, just not really possible with the variations of temperatures within the car. The temperature of the air coming out the vent is going to be much more than a single degree different than what the AC is set for.
Well of course. Even if the car screen shows its 70deg does not mean it really is. Especially as it moves through the target temp up and down within the accepted hysteresis.

Output is not the jist of this conversation, we're talking about input commands. The car does take input in one degree increments and also displays in one degree increments.

Sorry, just not really possible with the variations of temperatures within the car. The temperature of the air coming out the vent is going to be much more than a single degree different than what the AC is set for.
The temperature shown is the set point of the AC, which is the target temperature for a sensor that the AC uses to shut off or turn on (usually with some buffer so it doesn't activate or deactivate too frequently) and has nothing to do with the temperature of the air coming out of it. For example when you set AC to 70 or 71 on a hot day, the air blasting out is substantially cooler and has nothing to do with 70 or 71. It is a common misconception of people that the set temperature is the temperature of the air coming out (which is why they initially set it much lower in hopes it'll cool things down faster), but that is not the case.

As such, it is very much is possible to handle 1 degree differences (or even less depending on sensor precision/accuracy). All that number is a target temp for a sensor.

Last edited:
The temperature you set is not the temperature of the air coming out of the car... It's the temperature you want the interior to be at. If you set the HVAC to 80 and it's 120+ inside the car, the air coming out of the vents will be as cold as possible, 65, until it gets close to your set temp, then it will ramp up the air temperature closer to 80 and ramp down the fan speed.

Maybe it is internally using metric, where 1.0 deg C = 1.8 deg F, and it's doing something like this:
20C = 68.0F
21C = 69.8F (rounded to display as 70)
22C = 71.6F (rounded to display as 72)
23C = 73.4F (rounded to display as 73)
24C = 75.2F (rounded to display as 75)
25C = 77.0F

Maybe switch the temperature unit display to C and back to F? Or reboot?

in metric it does adjust it by 0.5C at a time.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Random theory based on ONE test and stretching some things...haha.

The test...I voice commanded 69 degrees and the car set 70 degrees...

The theory...The car is "thinking" in celcius. The car took my 69 degree command and said I need to look at that in celcius and converted to 20.5556 or whatever amount of digits. The it said ohh I need to round that value...21degC, then it said ohh hold on I need to set in Fahrenheit and converted 21C to 69.8F, hold on lets round again...70F.

Not totally far fetched. Also not a critical problem for the vehicle or occupants, in my opinion.

Random theory based on ONE test and stretching some things...haha.

The test...I voice commanded 69 degrees and the car set 70 degrees...

The theory...The car is "thinking" in celcius. The car took my 69 degree command and said I need to look at that in celcius and converted to 20.5556 or whatever amount of digits. The it said ohh I need to round that value...21degC, then it said ohh hold on I need to set in Fahrenheit and converted 21C to 69.8F, hold on lets round again...70F.

Not totally far fetched. Also not a critical problem for the vehicle or occupants, in my opinion.
If that is the case 75F should set 75. Maybe someone can try that.

Reactions: derotam
Well, I almost forgot about this issue, but I just tried the voice command to set to 69 degrees and low and behold it worked! I am not sure what software update fixed it. Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised it was fixed.