Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyperloop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point I'm of the opinion that Mr Musk just wants to see how zany an idea he can express while still be taken seriously. He'll let us all in on the joke when he collects the COTY award for the Gen 3.

Actually he travels from San Fransiso to LA all the time, many problems he looks for solutions for personally affect him, that's why he'd like to propose a trial Hyperloop between San Francisco and LA, as opposed to the worlds slowest, most expensive per mile bullet train.

Collisions should be as "designed out" as possible/feasible for example:
- completely enclosed tube berried under ground
- one-way tubes
- low air pressure in tubes -> enables 'simple' alarm raising -> too much air resistance (from stopped object in front, damaged tube, ...) => automatic stop; build up of air pressure acts like a passive brake
- lack of air makes such tubes unbreathable so they wont be "interesting" for general public to wander in
- if anything happens they can be swiftly pressurized just by opening vents
- tubes need not be berried very deep, just under surface

What is there to collide with? It's inside a sealed tube.

There's going to be one "car" per tube? What happens when one breaks down? At that rate of speed can one behind it stop soon enough? What about a crack in the tunnel? Water coming in? All speculation of course since I have no details, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

I seriously doubt there would be any underground tunnels involved, since it's usually cost prohibitive. I think Elon's a fan of elevated guideways - he's suggested elevated highway lanes and some sort of personal rapid transit installed on central dividers. Judging by the air hockey analogy, I'd expect he's thinking of some sort of ground effect train (concorde reference would imply the winged variety) and linear motors for propulsion (railgun reference).

I seriously doubt there would be any underground tunnels involved, since it's usually cost prohibitive. I think Elon's a fan of elevated guideways - he's suggested elevated highway lanes and some sort of personal rapid transit installed on central dividers. Judging by the air hockey analogy, I'd expect he's thinking of some sort of ground effect train (concorde reference would imply the winged variety) and linear motors for propulsion (railgun reference).

Exactly. To have it be half the cost of a high speed train there's no way it could be a tunnel, and it would have to not have the bridges involved in the rail project. Something like the high speed gondola idea sounds more like it.

Looking for elevated trains over streets led to this:

Smart grid leads to more efficient electric trains
smart-grid-regenerative-electric-trains-2.jpg

Business Insider published this piece -- they think they've got Hyperloop figured out here:
What Is Elon Musk's Hyperloop - Business Insider

I this is a fantastic idea and I think the Federal Government should fund a study on the feasibility of the "VHST-Hyperloop"

On second thought, we should encourage Elon to start a new company. He doesn't need Government help.

I would by some stock today!

VHST2tubes_4web.jpg

A cursory search came up with a cost of tunneling of about $200M/mi which is about 4 times the cost per mile of high speed rail and I suspect the operating cost would be pretty high as well. It might be possible, but there's going to have to be a very good business case made for it.

A cursory search came up with a cost of tunneling of about $200M/mi which is about 4 times the cost per mile of high speed rail and I suspect the operating cost would be pretty high as well. It might be possible, but there's going to have to be a very good business case made for it.

I was thinking that for the majority of the distance across the country you would not have to tunnel but only bury the tube from 10 to 40 feet under the surface subject to terrain.

A few thoughts regarding this:

-Why not a pipeline?
-If there is a threshold where it is not useful to waste energy to propel eg. a maglev train through air, why would vacuum be the only option? It assumes that the air is not moving, but what if it did?
-How to make the air move? Well, imagine a pipeline that is covered in photovoltaic cells, and pylons containing fans. Fans are powered by the photovoltaic cells, obviously, and are sucking in air to power one huge Dyson fan http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/home/dyson-bladeless-fan.htm per pylon.

I have attached an image:
path6405.png

This way, the vehicle can have a very high ground speed, while still maintaining a low, or zero, airspeed. At some point it is no longer fruitful to accelerate the air in the pipeline because of friction. Vehicle could be either magnet-lifted or some type of ground-effect vehicle.

Last edited:
If anyone can push the Hyperloop forward it's Elon, but, having lived 20+ years in NYC and still not seeing the 2nd Avenue subway come to fruition (was started long before I moved there) - not sure public funding will be the answer. That's the general argument (regardless of the tech required) that's posed by the Atlantic Wire:
Elon Musks Just Fine - Dashiell Bennett - The Atlantic Wire

I mean they can't even fix the 405 (another one of Elon's gripes), so something like Hyperloop has got to be funded privately, I'm just hoping Elon has a plan for this...

I this is a fantastic idea and I think the Federal Government should fund a study on the feasibility of the "VHST-Hyperloop"

On second thought, we should encourage Elon to start a new company. He doesn't need Government help.

I would by some stock today!

View attachment 22982

I would like to see this idea 'derail' the plan for the California High speed train which is scheduled to begin construction LA to San Francisco, and begin a link to Las Vegas. This makes much more sense than trains.