Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I bought my Model X 100D with Bitcoin, but that's not why I'm here...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm dwangoAC and I've been meaning to join since I purchased my Model X 100D in December 2017. This is just a quick intro to say that yes, I really did sell 7.5 BTC at the height of the bubble which was enough to fully cover my entire purchase. (The tax implications of selling Bitcoin acquired in 2011 for $17 and sold in 2017 for $17,000 each are a different topic altogether...)

I am about to embark on an absolutely insane project where I'll be driving from Petaluma, CA to Salt Lake City, UT and streaming the entire thing while viewers are able to control the temperature of my Tesla directly all while raising money for National Alliance on Mental Illness in an event I'm calling Desert Tesla Charity Drive that will be hosted at TAS.Bot on May 4th. I'll be posting more in other forums and I don't want to violate the no cross-posting policy right out of the gate so I'll save the rest of my technical asks for other specific forums but there are a huge number of things I still have to solve in less than two weeks, covering everything from power budget (how much can I really draw in total from USB + power adapter ports across a 14 hour drive?) to questions about whether we can access data from the front camera in realtime in some way to hopes that I can get the word out.

I look forward to participating in the community. See you around!

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Very cool. Good luck on your journey.
Thanks! It will be a fantastic opportunity to show people how autopilot *really* works, and what a long distance journey can look like.
I sold a small amount of Dogecoin to help buy my car :)
Heh, I was given some Shibecoin which collapsed before I could do anything, but my Etherium did well too and helped contribute a bit to paying the tax bill the *next* year. :)

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Which bitcoin did you use for purchasing Tesla? I've heard Tesla only accept Fiat currency
I converted to USD first on an exchange and deposited the funds into my checking account so I could write a cashier's check for the full amount above and beyond the deposit that was on my credit card but the total amount of BTC I had to sell based on the prices at the time was around 7 BTC (not counting taxes the next year).