Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can no longer, in good conscience, recommend Tesla vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a painful thread to write. I've been a huge booster of Tesla. I've been an investor at times. I've only ever really had one possession goal: a Tesla EV. I believe in the company's mission, and the impact they have had on the industry has been very positive. Several friends have bought EVs on my recommendation.

But after owning a 2014 MS for the past three years, I can no longer recommend this company.

The issue is reliability. I've had to replace the following components. Many of these just in the last couple months:

- The AC compressor
- The AC compressor again, plus two other AC-related components (I declined this repair as I suspect it was misdiagnosed)
- Two door handles
- The trunk latch
- The entire MCU
- All four calipers plus the parking brake (and they nearly rusted over again after just over a year. Thankfully got them cleaned in time)
- The parking brake again (which had been replaced just one year earlier) (bricked the car. $300 to tow)
- The 4-way valve for battery coolant
- The windshield washer fluid pump
(edit: forgot this one) - Replacement 12 V battery
- And today, the PTC heater (bricked the car. $300 to tow)

It's one thing to replace components. All cars have that. But to replace *the same component just over a year later* is ridiculous. I don't even want to sum up the cost of all the repairs above. And every time, it's a drawn out, complicated process to get answers from the service centre via the app. With no ability to just call them, it drastically complicates the process.

I can't do it anymore. I want to stay electric, and will have to look at more reliable options from other manufacturers.

I'm posting this thread because I do not want to see Tesla fail as a company. They are too important. I understand build quality has gotten better over time, but they need to do a better job taking care of early adopters who are stuck with cars that are now racking up annual repair bills in the five figures.

Last edited:
Have to agree unfortunately with this sentiment. As a die hard Tesla fanatic I would recommend all friends never to own one of these cars out of warranty.

My 2013 S also starting to fall apart (just had to do another 4k repair for a subframe that fell apart) and although I would like to get a plaid, the two features I use the most: sunroof and rear facing seats, are no longer available.

When they couldn't provide me with a 12v battery for purchase due to supply issues, and I couldn't just go get one from the store because they decided to make it reverse polarity in their infinite wisdom... I called it quits with Tesla. And my repair list is probably twice as long as yours. But that one took the cake.

Reactions: InternetDude
I sympathize, driving a 2015 that also has repair costs.
But your thread title is click bait and generalizing.
I can understand your position is partially valid for older S from your experience. But should it extend to more recent Tesla’s ?
I think it does - new Model S/X since Tesla has not produced >10k.

I recommend to my friends & family to either keep their current ICE/Hybrid for as long as possible or lease the Tesla. I also tell them to test drive other makes, but if they want to go on road trips Tesla's the only game until the supercharger network is opened to the public.

I sympathize, driving a 2015 that also has repair costs.
But your thread title is click bait and generalizing.
I can understand your position is partially valid for older S from your experience. But should it extend to more recent Tesla’s ?
I sure hope not. But what if it does? There are no 2013/14 Model 3 or Y's out there. Should we expect or tolerate if these cars all start falling apart when they hit 5-7 years old?

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Met a women driving a 2016 model S at three Supercharging stops! We just happened to be going the same way, she from VA to TX and my wife and I from Cape Cod to AZ. Her Tesla had a lot of miles on it (don't recall the actual mileage) and she bought it because it came with free life-time Supercharging. She had been a realtor in the El Paso area.

Anyway we had several conversations about her car (she had had it "wrapped" in a turquoise color, quite nice). She told me she had no issues whatever with maintenance since owning the car. She took it in to Tesla yearly "just because."

Not debating anyone here, just adding another data-point.

For the record our model Y with 13,000 miles has been stone reliable.

Rich

I sure hope not. But what if it does? There are no 2013/14 Model 3 or Y's out there. Should we expect or tolerate if these cars all start falling apart when they hit 5-7 years old?
With “what if” we can argue in all directions. “What if” we all keep on driving ICE cars instead.
“What if” any EV, regardless of brand, fall apart after 5 years.

I’m not saying you’re wrong to warn people and share your experience.
I actually think it’s for the better: buying second hand older car is always a risk. It’s not specific to Tesla.

But deciding this applies to any Tesla is in my opinion not fair.

How is the title click bait?

(not moderator content, personal opinion post only, representing no one other than jjrandorin the regular poster)

=================================

I dislike clickbait with the passion of a 1000 white hot suns, in virtually all of its forms. I am particularly sensitive to thread titles that are clickbait, like "You wont BELIEVE what Tesla is doing NOW!" (see my youtube channel, like and subscribe).

With that being said, I dont find this thread title clickbait at all. The OP is very clear that this is their own opinion "I" can no longer recommend, not "No one should recommend!", and the post lays out exactly why the OP feels this way, in clear, concise terms, without an excess of drama.

TL ; DR.... I dont think this title is clickbait in the slightest, and this comes from someone who really (really) hates clickbait titles.

I recommend to my friends & family to either keep their current ICE/Hybrid for as long as possible
You might want to share with them this web site so they can compare if indeed keeping their ICE or plug-in is better or not than a EV for their emissions.

With that being said, I dont find this thread title clickbait at all. The OP is very clear that this is their own opinion "I" can no longer recommend, not "No one should recommend!", and the post lays out exactly why the OP feels this way, in clear, concise terms, without an excess of drama.

Clickbait is not related to using personal opinion or not.
Also clickbait is about titles, not the content of the post.
Anyway, that is how I meant clickbait. You might have another opinion.

The “drama”, in my view, is extending his experience of one second hand 2014 model S to discourage buying any Tesla.
And at the same time, OP concludes he does not want Tesla to fail. “They are too important “ ?!

I agree on the fact that there are indeed risks and sometimes expensive repairs with older cars, and it’s better to talk about it. There are also some SC who seem to provide poor services. That needs to be adresses too.

But saying this is the fate of all Tesla’s from old to new is in my eyes not fair.

You might want to share with them this web site so they can compare if indeed keeping their ICE or plug-in is better or not than a EV for their emissions.

Considering what they drive (SUVs/Crossovers/Mid-size Luxury Sedans), emissions are not a priority. They ask me about EVs because I drive one and they're curious. The upfront price concerns them more than anything. I've tried taking the conversation to Total Cost of Ownership, but they don't want to do the math. And for some reason, my circle is hesitant to drive my car. I'm guessing it's the lack of buttons or maybe it's the lack of noise?

Reactions: AustinP
You have a very small data point in it being 1 car very early in a production cycle. Yes, the repairs were done more recently but judging an extremely quickly evolving company based on 1 car/parts catalog from your 7 year model seems a bit per-mature.

My 2016 MS 90D has had its issues over the last 2 years that I've owned it (door handles, 12v battery, battery heater, MCU replacement) but mine were covered under warranty (well, not the upgrade to MCU2 but the eMMC replacement was) so it hasn't been as painful ($) and I still strongly recommend the brand. I wish they would take better care (major discount) of the early models so we don't see them end up in landfills when 95% of the car is still in great shape but the repairs are too expensive to pay out of pocket.

I think if you get into a newer model (maybe rent a model 3 from Hertz?) you will see that the issues you faced from your 2014 MS have been addressed as the build quality has matured greatly in the last 3-5 years. I'm not sure who else you would recommend to your friends since the options are so limited (Rivian, Lucid?) but best of luck to your and your vehicles in the future.

I definitely agree and no longer recommend Tesla's either. I used to own a 2014 P85 which constantly had issues (thank god for ESA) then I eventually sold it and got a 2021 LR+ (non-refresh ) and honestly regret it. You'd think that after that many years Tesla would have perfected the issues I had with my 2014 and nope, still have issues with door handles, random MCU reboots, rattles, motor grinding noise. It already has issues and I am at 15k kms, horrible build quality and isn't really exciting. On top of that service experiences have plummeted since the 3 has been introduced. I've owned many ICE cars that have been way more reliable than both my S'. With the EV market finally beginning to mature, I usually tell people that a Tesla is a good brand on paper but in realistically its not as great as others make it seem. Just my 2 cents as a long time owner.

I think what happened here is a disconnect on expectations - EVs are supposed to be more reliable with less maintenance.

Considering you've been a member of this forum since 2015,
Pandalus, why did you choose a 2014 MS? What were your choices? Why do you choose to keep this 2014 MS?

How much do you set aside for repairs?
I always tell my friends & family to set aside some money monthly for repairs - cars don't last and nothing is forever. If you own a car, you'll always be spending money.

Your experience is actually pretty similar to my brother's with his 2013 MS:
  • traction battery
  • motor
  • MCU1 (he upgraded to MCU2 before recall was issued)
  • charging port
  • master charger
  • door handles
The difference is that I warned him prior to purchase of the possible problems he'd encounter. What I warned him came to pass and then some. He also had another car as a backup - Volt.

He's been in line for a Tri-motor Cybertruck since the reveal. I think he's turned into a bigger Tesla "fan" than me. He also takes the MS on more family roadtrips than I do despite not having AP.

I do need to add that he's owned practically a lot of used makes - Audi, MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, Ford, & I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few others. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's familiar with repair bills - all of them had problems. Emissions related issues on most of them drove him to EV.

Last edited:
I'm posting this thread because I do not want to see Tesla fail as a company. They are too important. I understand build quality has gotten better over time, but they need to do a better job taking care of early adopters who are stuck with cars that are now racking up annual repair bills in the five figures.

So we've had a bit of a derail here about whether this is clickbait. That accusation doesn't make sense to me - what happens if people take the bait? How do I benefit?

But that aside, my point was to highlight the part above here. IMO, they are burning early adopters. There needs to be much better support for people who took the leap of faith early on. Yes, I bought mine used, and so of course I expect a certain amount of maintenance. But I do not think it is reasonable to expect to have to replace the things that broke again, just a month or two after they are out of the parts warranty!

I have excluded from my list above all the normal car maintenance stuff - brake cleaning (not replacement - that shouldn't happen often! Reduced brake wear is supposed to be a selling point of Teslas!), tires, etc. This is just stuff that has broken. And I'm sorry but it's not normal - this car is just 7 years old. I've had lots of cars older than this that don't just start self-destructing. I acknowledge n=1 however just in this thread we've got several others expressing the same frustrations.

And this comes from a place of support. I *want* them to be successful. But if *I* - a major Tesla fan, who literally reserved a M3 before seeing one on the night Elon first presented it (but then decided on a used MS instead), if *I* can be turned off to this degree, I think it's a serious issue.

Reactions: rjpjnk
But that aside, my point was to highlight the part above here. IMO, they are burning early adopters. There needs to be much better support for people who took the leap of faith early on. Yes, I bought mine used, and so of course I expect a certain amount of maintenance. But I do not think it is reasonable to expect to have to replace the things that broke again, just a month or two after they are out of the parts warranty!
I wouldn't say that they completely burnt early adapters. Free Supercharging, free connectivity and if you would have bought your car directly from Tesla you could have gotten a 4 year 50K mile warranty from the date you bought it. This was on my order page in 2019 when I bought my 2016:

1637795932007.png

Do you know of any company that freely supports a 7 year old item, especially a vehicle?

Edit: I've always wondered about swapping out everything but the cup holder on my car, do I still keep free supercharging?

Last edited:
Reactions: ayavner