Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i-Pace Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an invite from my local Jaguar dealer last week to test drive the i-Pace. After having to reschedule once because the prototype hadn’t arrived, I got my chance this morning. Here are my impressions. I’m posting here because I drive an uncorked 2017 S75.

Exterior: I don’t know, maybe I was expecting too much from Jaguar. I happen to think the F-Type is one of the most beautiful cars in the world. I was mostly underwhelmed by the exterior. It looks like someone put an extremely heavy weight on a Range Rover Evoque. It’s shorter, wider, and longer than an Evoque. The result is a vehicle that looks big on the outside but not necessarily in a good way. On my way home I was trying to figure out where I’ve seen those kinds of lines and it came to me: Dodge Caliber SRT. See here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2568/1730/products/294850794_1024x1024.jpg?v=1512423005

Interior: The interior looks like any modern Land Rover or Jaguar. The screens were extremely bright and easy to read. I didn’t get much chance to configure anything but the sales rep showed me that there are plenty of widgets included to personalize the experience. The setup during my test drive included the speedometer on the left of the screen behind the steering wheel, navigation in the center, and energy on the right. I liked the energy widget - it looks a lot like the old speedo/energy widget found in older Teslas.

On the right you can place 3 more widgets but these are interactive and sit on a touch screen. Again, they are customizable but I didn’t get time to play with them. Mine were set on Navigation, XM Radio, and Phone Connection. The only one active was the radio. I asked about phone connectivity and it sounds like they will be using Carplay and/or Android Auto to screen mirror. Touches on the car’s screen will be interactive with a connected phone. I also asked about a web browser since I use Tesla Waze everyday. The i-Pace includes a browser but it is disabled while driving. The sales rep indicated that screen mirroring Waze will be available.

There is also an angled controls section with 2 very large dials to control climate. The dials are very Range Rover-esque. There is some space underneath this area that Jaguar touts as “hidden space” but I just don’t see how it is accessible or usable. The sales rep told me there were a couple USB ports in there but I couldn’t find them. The gear controls are also here. Those are push buttons and, if you are into those, they work fine. I prefer something that moves, but that’s just me. Land Rovers and Jaguars have used buttons and dials for a while now to handle these functions.

The steering wheel had many of the same controls that most modern cars have. There are voice controls, cruise control, and radio controls - none of which I tried. These also include a roller switch on the left that customizes based on what you are manipulating. You can see what the interior looks like here:

https://jaguar.ssl.cdn.sdlmedia.com/636534386210069437FT.jpg?v=29#desktop_1366x650

Seating: Here is where I think the Jag shines. The vehicle I drove had the leather sport seats and I found them to be extremely comfortable. I’m not a small guy and the bolsters of the seats in my Tesla irritate me and cause me to move around periodically. In addition, I’m very tall from the waist up so the headrest is also an irritant. The bottom of the headrest in my car pokes the top of my spine continuously making for a difficult time ultimately being comfortable. The i-Pace’s seat fit me much better. It was configurable in a bunch of ways just like the seat in my Tesla. I didn’t get a chance to sit in the back but Jaguar says that the front cab is pulled forward allowing for more back row legroom.

Other Interior Stuff: The roof of the car I drove was glass. The sales rep made a point of telling me it blocked UV-A and UV-B. OK, I guess. The steering wheel was mechanically operated using a lever under the wheel to raise or lower it as well as push or pull it telescopically. I have no problem with that but I could see where some folks would complain that it’s not electronic. I found no way to store settings as Tesla’s do in profiles, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Honestly, when comparing the interior of the i-Pace to a Tesla, most new owners will probably find the i-Pace superior because it is more familiar. It’s just more like what they’ve been driving. Sure, there’s a learning curve. They’ll have to figure out where everything is but, once that’s done, driving won’t be much different than whatever they were driving previously. Having driven a Tesla for the past year, though, you couldn’t pay me to go back to that cluttered cockpit.

Noise: The vehicle I drove had 22-inch wheels with low profile tires. This may have contributed to the noise level I experienced inside the vehicle. When I pulled onto the highway I actually asked the sales rep if there were car noises being electronically pumped into the cabin. It was MUCH louder than my Tesla. In addition, there was much more vibration being generated by the i-Pace. One of the things I think makes the Model S so serene to drive is the lack of nearly any vibration. I always thought this was because there was no engine. Now I’m not so sure as the i-Pace doesn’t have an engine either. In any event, the i-Pace was much louder to drive than a Tesla.

Performance:There are 4 models available initially and, as far as I can tell, they are all identical in terms of performance. Jaguar touts 394 HP and 512 lb-ft of torque. They also provide a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds and a max speed of 124 mph. I have no reason to doubt those numbers but I’d have to see the 4.5 second 0-60 to believe it. My uncorked S75 is said to run 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. Subjectively, my vehicle felt MUCH faster than the i-Pace I drove today - certainly much faster than 0.2 seconds to 60mph. I let it eat on a short straightaway and, sure the i-Pace is fast relative to an ICE vehicle of the same size. But there is no comparison to a Tesla, even my bottom of the line model. The i-Pace is nowhere near as nimble.

I didn’t get much opportunity to test the handling capabilities. All i-Pace models are dual-motor AWD vehicles. The vehicle I drove felt firmly planted to the ground with the requisite low center of gravity. I did get to make a quick move around a turning vehicle and the i-Pace was confidence inspiring. For a vehicle of its size, I thought it handled reasonably well.

Regen Braking: I actually liked the i-Pace’s regen capabilities. Much like the Chevy Bolt, there are 2 settings - low and high. The high setting was much like what is available on a Tesla. The low setting was more aggressive and more resembled what’s available on the Bolt. I found the high setting comfortable but the low setting made it even easier to drive with one pedal than is available on a Tesla. Interestingly, my sales rep made a point of showing me the barf bags stored in the driver’s door. Apparently those are for the ICE drivers who get nauseous while using regen.

Charging: The i-Pace includes J1772 and Fast DC charging ports. They plan to use the ChargePoint network and are currently working on getting the available public charging stations to be visible in their nav system. In any event, at 7kW charging at home, Jaguar says it takes upwards of 13 hours to fully charge the i-Pace. This is doable overnight. They also say that a 50kW fast DC charger can get the i-Pace to 80% full in 90 minutes. I can’t really comment here other than to say that if compatible fast DC chargers aren’t available along the route you need to travel then the i-Pace isn’t a viable roadtrip option. Instead, it’s a glorified around town car.

Range: Every i-Pace has the same 90 kWh battery pack. Jaguar indicates a 240 mile range. That seems a little low for a battery of that size. The vehicle I drove today, though, was a prototype so it only had a range of 90 miles. The sales rep made a point of telling me he did training in California on the full size battery. I have no reason to disbelieve him. I can’t imagine Jaguar would sell the i-Pace with less range than a NIssan Leaf. Even with the 240 mile range, given the charging situation, I could see where range anxiety would be much more of an issue than in a Tesla.

Over The Air Updates (OTAs): Jaguar purportedly will offer software updates over the air. They plan to allow users to check for updates instead of making them simply wait to be notified. This feels much more intuitive than the process used by Tesla. It more closely mimics how most software is updated. Having said that, I have no evidence that it will work better nor how often updates will be available.

Autopilot: There are driver-assist technologies available in the i-Pace but none of them come close to offering what Tesla drivers think of as autopilot. You can add a driver assist package which includes TACC and emergency braking. Again, the vehicle I drove was a prototype so none of those features were available for testing. I found it interesting that a second sales rep came over and tried to get me to agree that autopilot was scary and that it was years away from working. I asked him if he’d ever tried it. When his response was “no,” I knew he was operating from a script.

If you’d like more info about the i-Pace, head over to https://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/i-pace/index.html where you can configure an i-Pace using Jaguar’s configuration studio.

Overall Impressions: I had fun driving the i-Pace. I found it to be reasonably powered, comfortable, and it handled well for a vehicle of its size. My sales rep worked very much from a script that he was still memorizing. He explained regenerative braking to me in full detail, for example, when he knew that I drove a Tesla. I had no problem with that as there is always an opportunity to learn something. Having said that, the sales rep spent a lot of time comparing features of the i-Pace to that offered by Tesla, especially where his script told him the i-Pace was “better.”

I don’t think the i-Pace competes with the Model S. I guess, right now - or when it finally is available - it competes with Model X but, ultimately, I think it will compete with the Model Y. Today, I don’t think the i-Pace does anything better than the S or the X or even the 3. At its current price point, unless the i-Pace does something spectacular going forward, I don’t think it will compete with Model Y either. The i-Pace is certainly not a Tesla killer. In the end, I found no reason to think that my next vehicle wouldn’t be another Tesla.

This is a very good review. It is surprisingly objective, considering it comes from a Tesla driver ;).

The question that popped in my mind while reading was: "have you driven a Model X"? I haven't driven the i-Pace but I have seen a bunch of video reviews. And it strikes me how "claustrophobic" the interior seems to be compared to the X (actually, every car seems claustrophobic compared to the X interior...). The cluttered dash is one thing. But the i-Pace is certainly a large car. Being an EV, I don't see how the interior is not roomier. Unless I'm getting the wrong impression from the videos.

Last question: any thoughts about cargo space?

Cheers and thanks again for that informative and well written review!

I am trying to understand the prototype battery comment. This one did not have a full size battery? Or it had the regular 90kw/h battery but restricted to a lesser range? Either would reduce the acceleration then, correct?

Yeah, that part of the narrative makes no sense.

I have no doubt that's exactly what the dealer people told the OP, but there's no benefit to Jaguar in shipping prototypes with a different battery and there are a lot of downsides to it.

It's possible that the car has programming that only lets it use half or a third of the pack towards the upper middle, so you don't see the bad effects of a completely full or mostly empty pack, but even that seems like a big stretch.

My bet is that is a misunderstanding, possibly related to the planned firmware update that is supposed to improve range. If there are any photos or details of what the screen showed when we might be able to figure more out.

Great write up! I have been waiting on the i-Pace for some time as a potential second EV for the house (my wife apparently loves Jaguars).

We had the travelling pre-production model at one of our local car shows three weeks ago and the dealer offered test drives later that week. Both my wife and I took it for a spin, and to be honest, it looked and felt like a Jaguar. The interior fit and finish was outstanding, but like others mentioned it seemed a bit smaller than expected on the inside. It is more of a small SUV/cross-over (although, I was informed by the dealer that they do not make cross-overs, lol).

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

The storage space in the back was adequate, but small given that they are marketing this as an SUV (similar to a BMW X4). The frunk was also extremely small and reminded me of the frunk on a BMW i3. You could put a few small items in there (first aid kit, jumper cables, etc.) but that is about it.

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

The version I drove had large rims and low-profile tires, so I'm wondering if that accounted for the OP's observed noise levels, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I was also concerned about the battery size as they touted only a 240 mile range on a 90kWh battery, but when I got in the vehicle it was around 85-90% battery capacity and the dash said there was 255 miles of range left. When I asked about it, the salesperson said they were told to give a conservative estimate (250 mi) to customers. I'm not sure why beat around the bush about it as they are already taking orders for an early 2019 delivery.

IMG_3936 (2).jpg
All in all, I thought it was a good first EV for Jaguar, but there is definitely room for improvement.

(Photos: courtesy of the Colorado Springs Electric Vehicle Club)

Last edited:
I am trying to understand the prototype battery comment. This one did not have a full size battery? Or it had the regular 90kw/h battery but restricted to a lesser range? Either would reduce the acceleration then, correct?
I think the sales rep was trying to let me know why the rated mileage only showed 90 miles when we started our drive. He didn't elaborate as to why the full charge number was so low. Your insight re: acceleration, though, makes sense. It could have been restricting. Having said that, I'd think the sales rep would also have included something like "The production vehicle will be faster." He didn't.

This is a very good review. It is surprisingly objective, considering it comes from a Tesla driver ;).

The question that popped in my mind while reading was: "have you driven a Model X"? I haven't driven the i-Pace but I have seen a bunch of video reviews. And it strikes me how "claustrophobic" the interior seems to be compared to the X (actually, every car seems claustrophobic compared to the X interior...). The cluttered dash is one thing. But the i-Pace is certainly a large car. Being an EV, I don't see how the interior is not roomier. Unless I'm getting the wrong impression from the videos.

Last question: any thoughts about cargo space?

Cheers and thanks again for that informative and well written review!
Thanks for the kind words. I have driven the Model X and the i-Pace comes nowhere close in terms of interior room. As you said, though, nothing really does. No, you are not getting the wrong impressions re: the roominess. I'd call it comfortable. But I'd have a hard time calling it "roomy."

For cargo, the center console has some space, but it's pretty deep. You probably wouldn't use it for anything that should be readily accessible. Rear cargo space is at best adequate. I'd compare it to any mid-size SUV. Looking at the brochure I got, rear cargo ranges from 25.3 cu ft with the rear seats up to 51 cu ft with the rear seats folded down. The rear seat is split 60/40 or so giving a variety of configurations but nothing spectacular. I don't how flat the rear seats fold - I didn't play with them. The brochure also says there is a front storage compartment providing 0.95 cu ft. I didn't see that but the size is pretty useless.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: arubinst
Yeah, that part of the narrative makes no sense.

I have no doubt that's exactly what the dealer people told the OP, but there's no benefit to Jaguar in shipping prototypes with a different battery and there are a lot of downsides to it.

It's possible that the car has programming that only lets it use half or a third of the pack towards the upper middle, so you don't see the bad effects of a completely full or mostly empty pack, but even that seems like a big stretch.

My bet is that is a misunderstanding, possibly related to the planned firmware update that is supposed to improve range. If there are any photos or details of what the screen showed when we might be able to figure more out.
You are correct about them being somewhat evasive. Having said that, it was the first thing the sales rep told me when we sat in the car. He must have gotten the question about range before. I. too, found it odd that nearly all of the shortcomings were blamed on the fact that the car was a "prototype." The sales rep did mention that he charged it overnight and was surprised when the range read 90 miles. I don't know how he charged it, though. For all I know, he hooked it to a 110v outlet (the adapter is included with the vehicle charging cable).

I don't have pictures and I don't really have any evidence that the battery was other than what the sales rep told me. When I entered the car, the range indicated 89 miles. I drove for 20 minutes or so in a variety of conditions ranging from highway to very narrow back roads. When done, the range indicated 71 miles. That sounded about right to me. I don't think I drove 18 miles, but it aligns with what I've seen when looking at rated range versus actual mileage.

Great write up! I have been waiting on the i-Pace for some time as a potential second EV for the house (my wife apparently loves Jaguars).

We had the travelling pre-production model at one of our local car shows three weeks ago and the dealer offered test drives later that week. Both my wife and I took it for a spin, and to be honest, it looked and felt like a Jaguar. The interior fit and finish was outstanding, but like others mentioned it seemed a bit smaller than expected on the inside. It is more of a small SUV/cross-over (although, I was informed by the dealer that they do not make cross-overs, lol).

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

The storage space in the back was adequate, but small given that they are marketing this as an SUV (similar to a BMW X4). The frunk was also extremely small and reminded me of the frunk on a BMW i3. You could put a few small items in there (first aid kit, jumper cables, etc.) but that is about it.

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

The version I drove had large rims and low-profile tires, so I'm wondering if that accounted for the OP's observed noise levels, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I was also concerned about the battery size as they touted only a 240 mile range on a 90kWh battery, but when I got in the vehicle it was around 85-90% battery capacity and the dash said there was 255 miles of range left. When I asked about it, the salesperson said they were told to give a conservative estimate (250 mi) to customers. I'm not sure why beat around the bush about it as they are already taking orders for an early 2019 delivery.

All in all, I thought it was a good first EV for Jaguar, but there is definitely room for improvement.

(Photos: courtesy of the Colorado Springs Electric Vehicle Club)
Thanks. This is further evidence that perhaps my sales rep was mistaken. If you could drive a model with the production battery, why couldn't I? I guess maybe, like Tesla, Jaguar is rolling vehicles from west to east and it will eventually get to the east coast (I'm in CT). Looking at your pictures, though, the vehicle I drove included a decal in large type indicating that it was indeed a prototype. Your pictures don't seem to say that. Interesting.

Thanks. This is further evidence that perhaps my sales rep was mistaken. If you could drive a model with the production battery, why couldn't I? I guess maybe, like Tesla, Jaguar is rolling vehicles from west to east and it will eventually get to the east coast (I'm in CT). Looking at your pictures, though, the vehicle I drove included a decal in large type indicating that it was indeed a prototype. Your pictures don't seem to say that. Interesting.
I wonder if they didn't have enough models to demo? I know the version I drove was only in town for 3-4 days as it had to move on to the next dealership in some other town.

I wonder if they didn't have enough models to demo? I know the version I drove was only in town for 3-4 days as it had to move on to the next dealership in some other town.
That's the impression I got as well. It was definitely a limited window. The sales rep indicated that they weren't getting any models for sale until the middle of the 4th quarter.

When I entered the car, the range indicated 89 miles. I drove for 20 minutes or so in a variety of conditions ranging from highway to very narrow back roads. When done, the range indicated 71 miles. That sounded about right to me. I don't think I drove 18 miles, but it aligns with what I've seen when looking at rated range versus actual mileage.

Did you see anything that indicated what the state of charge was when it was at 90 miles?

Your "charged at 110V overnight, only ~1/3 full" scenario seems like a reasonable possibility.

Just sticking in a couple of extra points of info

...I drive an uncorked 2017 S75.

...There is some space underneath [the climate control] but I just don’t see how it is accessible or usable. The sales rep told me there were a couple USB ports in there but I couldn’t find them.

The USBs are the end nearest the dash, up at the top of the side opening. (I had a pic prepared, but the forum doesn't offer upload).
Inductive charging will be added to that cubby at some point.

Noise: I actually asked the sales rep if there were car noises being electronically pumped into the cabin. It was MUCH louder than my Tesla.
The official figures are 69dB for Model S, 64 dB for I-Pace. i.e. S is supposedly about 50% louder

Performance:There are 4 models available initially and, as far as I can tell, they are all identical in terms of performance.
Yes, one drivetrain, 4 trim levels. Lowest spec is 'S', then 'SE', 'HSE' and, for the first year or so, "First Edition", with pretty much all the bells and whistles.
In the UK, S trim has steel suspension. For the USA, all models have the height-adjustable air suspension.

Regen Braking: I actually liked the i-Pace’s regen capabilities. Much like the Chevy Bolt, there are 2 settings - low and high. The high setting was much like what is available on a Tesla. The low setting was more aggressive and more resembled what’s available on the Bolt. I found the high setting comfortable but the low setting made it even easier to drive with one pedal than is available on a Tesla.

Half the regen - up to 0.2g - is available on one-pedal driving. The other half gets blended in from the brake pedal, for a total of up to 0.4g regen.

Charging: The i-Pace includes J1772 and Fast DC charging ports. They plan to use the ChargePoint network and are currently working on getting the available public charging stations to be visible in their nav system. In any event, at 7kW charging at home, Jaguar says it takes upwards of 13 hours to fully charge the i-Pace. This is doable overnight. They also say that a 50kW fast DC charger can get the i-Pace to 80% full in 90 minutes. I can’t really comment here other than to say that if compatible fast DC chargers aren’t available along the route you need to travel then the i-Pace isn’t a viable roadtrip option. Instead, it’s a glorified around town car.

That's true of all EVs. There are still US locations 450 miles from a Supercharger, and the Montana-North Dakota route promised for 2016 still has not been built.

Given the charging situation, I could see where range anxiety would be much more of an issue than in a Tesla.

Route maps: Electrified Thinking: "But there's just no charging infrastructure!" (US Edition)

Autopilot: There are driver-assist technologies available in the i-Pace but none of them come close to offering what Tesla drivers think of as autopilot. You can add a driver assist package which includes TACC and emergency braking.

You can also add lane sensing, active lane-keep assist with self-steer, plus self-parking. It supposedly also does driver monitoring. Bjorn Nyland measured the period you could drive hands-free before it beeped at you.

I found it interesting that a second sales rep came over and tried to get me to agree that autopilot was scary and that it was years away from working.

Sales people can definitely be a hindrance rather than a help.

Then again, they haven't been selling EVs for long. When the Model S was in its first month of deliveries, the sales force were all Model S specialists, newly hired for the role. Jag is using an existing salesforce.

Once the I-Pace has been around longer, I expect the sales force will start to get the hang of EVs.

Some corrections and additions to various posts and articles.
  • Range, mixed driving, loop, SoCal, hilly terrain, 59°F,. ACC set to 75mph, true avg speed 41 mph, = 250.0 miles, no hypermiling, AC and radio on, carrying 200lb of cargo.
  • Simulated engine noise must be hidden somewhere. I can't find it yet. So many complaints for a feature that isn't on by default.
  • Dynamic Mode operation changes the ambient lighting (all four doors) to red from the default blue.
  • "Laggy console" is perhaps 0.1 sec for typical functions. Not sure what people are used to.
  • Well integrated with iPhone via Carplay but you can switch back and forth rapidly.
  • Nav is pretty darn good, and the British female voice makes you smile.
  • It DOES have OTA updating.
  • HUD works well and is configurable. Not my cuppa, but it's good for a HUD.
  • Makes a light chirping warning in reverse even though it has collision detection.
  • SC/TC work well in heavy rain at WOT in corners and straights. Very sure footed, no lag or derating.
  • Two levels of regen. The second level is stout.
  • "Experts" who claim Jag cannot coast with PM DC motors are wrong.
  • One foot driving does not exist. It will slow to ~3 mph then free-wheel, it will actually roll backwards in Drive on a hill if you don't tap the brake. Better one-footing than Tesla, but that goes without saying. Bolt is the benchmark in true One Foot.
  • AFAIK, it lacks a true "kW consumption" display, it just has a radial bar graph. It has the silly kWh/100mi style reporting. Will not report regen # > 99.9kWh/100mi, but will accumulate data on regen energy saved per trip. Trip meter is additive. All trips are logged.
  • Cluster is highly adjustable. Highly.
  • Sound system is very good.
  • Lots of storage areas everywhere. Lots of SS USBs, and a SD slot. 12v power at trunk.
  • Very relaxing to drive once you have it setup to taste.
  • ACC is not quite up to GM standards, but close. That means pretty darn good. No false signals yet.
  • Auto-Steering should probably be used only on freeway, but it won't stop you from using it elsewhere. Requires 'hands-on' every 20 seconds. It supposedly will detect if you are falling asleep. Not going to test that right away.
  • Tall people will like it. Even with a helmet on.
  • You never have to glance at the center console unless you want to.
  • Volume and temp is knobs. It can tell if people are in a seat, and only turns on the seats that are occupied. Heated and cooled.
  • 360° View is not up to Cadillac spec, but neither is anyone else.
  • Rear mirror is NOT digital. Uggh. Windshield is internally heated.
  • Once you watch the 1 minute video, the temp control is gravy. But I figured it out at night, in 10 miles while driving. Why 'experts' say it's complex is beyond me. No, it's not a 1976 Pinto A/C + heater. It's a heatpump with 4 zone and seat control, so it's not going to be as simple as a light switch. Until you set it up. Then you never touch it again, it's automatic.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and Riggald