Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I used my Model 3 Performance in a drift event.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently there was a drift event at a track I used to race supermoto at. So I decided to enter my Model 3 Performance in it.

Going through tech was interesting. The guy checking the car's said he had no idea where to start and asked "what am I supposed to tech on this?".

I planned on starting with the factory track mode that says "drift" which is 100% rear power bias for the handling. Then I was going to try different power splits.

I was on konig hypergram wheels with 265 continental extreme contact tires. So not only did I have the wrong powertrain I had the wrong tires for drifting as well.

I went out and could only really power slide the car around corners. Without an hand brake I couldn't initiate a slide going into the corners. I found that if I tapped the brakes at all after starting to slide the car would spin out.

After the first session I changed the power setting to 10% front 90% rear but that just caused the car to understeer. So i went back to the preset option.

I found it hard to transition the car from sliding one direction to the other. Once it would start coming back from a slide it would quickly gain traction and it was hard to get it to break loose again. I got a little better going from right to left slide by carrying more speed and momentum. But the faster I'd go the harder it was to keep the wheels spinning and I'd start heading into the next corner with too much speed. So it was quiet a balancing act.

I took some video but wasn't able to have anyone go to the track with me because they limited the number of people that could attend due to the virus. So I wasn't able to get any shots from trackside.

Here's a video of the 3rd session. I have video from the 1st 2 sessions as well on my channel if you want to see them.

I’ve never done anything like that, but it looks like a ton of fun.

Maybe reach out to the “Out of Spec Motoring” guy.
He drifts all the time, and seems to have a good handle on the how part.

Hopefully the next time you go, it will be better.
Thanks for the vid.

I’ve never done anything like that, but it looks like a ton of fun.

Maybe reach out to the “Out of Spec Motoring” guy.
He drifts all the time, and seems to have a good handle on the how part.

Hopefully the next time you go, it will be better.
Thanks for the vid.
I watched his video with i1 Tesla. That track is awesome definitely a lot more room than the go kart track I was on. But I never saw him go from a left to right slide. Which is where the issue is with the Tesla. It's just too heavy to get a good transition without a lot of speed. Some cheap tires would go a long way as well.