Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish Tesla Waze was the default map in the car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just can't help thinking how silly it is to have the Tesla map on the top and the TeslaWaze map on the bottom when I drive. 90% of the time I know where I'm going and what I really need to know are of any traffic enforcement areas.

I really wish when the car is not actively navigating, I can replace the Tesla navigation view with TeslaWaze -- or Tesla can please just pull in all the speed camera and other traffic hazards from the Waze database and display them on the map with a customizable alert time 30 seconds before you encounter a speed camera or other traffic hazard.

This would really be super useful and take some of the stress from driving i certain areas.

I just can't help thinking how silly it is to have the Tesla map on the top and the TeslaWaze map on the bottom when I drive. 90% of the time I know where I'm going and what I really need to know are of any traffic enforcement areas.

I really wish when the car is not actively navigating, I can replace the Tesla navigation view with TeslaWaze -- or Tesla can please just pull in all the speed camera and other traffic hazards from the Waze database and display them on the map with a customizable alert time 30 seconds before you encounter a speed camera or other traffic hazard.

This would really be super useful and take some of the stress from driving i certain areas.

DITTO

Your are not the first. People have been asking for it for a long time (search here for threads on this, even a petition at one point). Elon told us in 2013 there is an SDK coming soon, which would solve the problem (someone would release an app, like the web based ones but actually working). Since then (6 years now), no sign of SDK and of course v9 no longer allows 2 apps on screen at the same time. Tesla nav is forced on top, plus media player pops at any opportunity like an annoying stench you cannot get rid of. So, if you want Waze, wait for the competition with integrated car play or equivalent for your phone. Audi etron is your best bet to get it soonest. Porsche Taycan come a little later, but still before Tesla will get apps. Heck, you can buy a Bolt and have Waze today, if you're ok with Bolt's shape and size.

Your are not the first. People have been asking for it for a long time (search here for threads on this, even a petition at one point). Elon told us in 2013 there is an SDK coming soon, which would solve the problem (someone would release an app, like the web based ones but actually working). Since then (6 years now), no sign of SDK and of course v9 no longer allows 2 apps on screen at the same time. Tesla nav is forced on top, plus media player pops at any opportunity like an annoying stench you cannot get rid of. So, if you want Waze, wait for the competition with integrated car play or equivalent for your phone. Audi etron is your best bet to get it soonest. Porsche Taycan come a little later, but still before Tesla will get apps. Heck, you can buy a Bolt and have Waze today, if you're ok with Bolt's shape and size.

Too late for other options, just bought a Model S :p

I really wish TeslaWave can be a regular Tesla app. I bet customers will find that more useful that the current map...

Too late for other options, just bought a Model S :p

I really wish TeslaWaze can be a regular Tesla app. I bet customers will find that more useful that the current map...
Well, you're stuck with the rest of the Tesla owners wishing for the app which we will probably never get, or mounting your phone (what I ended up doing, phone plus an additional screen for the radar/laser defense system which I originally was planning to write a Tesla app for too - my wife says my car look like I drive for Uber ;)).

I can see the headlines now....

Tesla Enables Cars to Ignore Speed Limits

Or how about this headline:

Tesla releases software to make drivers more aware of speed limits.

You do realize that Google owns Waze, right? And we don't see the media bashing Google for "enabling" people to ignore speed limits.

I am a beta leader for Waze. Which means I do google hangouts a lot with folks in Israel who work on the app. Also we meet once a year to go over issues and up and coming things for all the Waze products.

That being said, this last meetup in February, I was all over the managers about Waze and Tesla working together on some things. I have spoken with the chief of operations many times. He is directly under the Waze owners. He explained that the owner has a Tesla and has been trying to reach out to Elon for a number of years. He said that Elon just wants to do things his way and on his own.

So after getting that news, I wouldnt hold my breath. Its a shame because the speed limit database as well as the traffic and hazards would be a nice sync for the map.

I am a beta leader for Waze. Which means I do google hangouts a lot with folks in Israel who work on the app. Also we meet once a year to go over issues and up and coming things for all the Waze products.

That being said, this last meetup in February, I was all over the managers about Waze and Tesla working together on some things. I have spoken with the chief of operations many times. He is directly under the Waze owners. He explained that the owner has a Tesla and has been trying to reach out to Elon for a number of years. He said that Elon just wants to do things his way and on his own.

So after getting that news, I wouldnt hold my breath. Its a shame because the speed limit database as well as the traffic and hazards would be a nice sync for the map.

Waze integration with the Tesla map would take so much of the stress away from driving long distances...

For the last 25 years I have been using PC's and Mac for more serious things, without Facebook & Twitter. The amount of time I have spent rebooting and backing up my data, was learned the hard way, namely through the loss of data. I'm very much concerned that Tesla is going to have similar growing pains. The main problem I see, Tesla wants will be responsible for the entire process, leaving the Customer in the dark. Hence the P for personal will no longer be in control of the customer.

I would like to see Tesla develop an API, where customers with C# or Python could develop add-ons, much like the Google play store offers for its Android OS customers. That would move development along swiftly. Quit Playing Arcade games....Elon!

Having Wave functionality built into the car would ease so much stress for me.

They would just need to import that layer of data and it will instantly improve the lives of just about all their customers...

I agree. It seems so silly to have a large touch screen with Internet connectivity and a large clear map display right there and I still need to have Waze running on my phone when going on trips.

I have the Tesla center console but when the phone is docked, unfortunately you can barely see the phone display because it is positioned so close to the arm rest.

Waze alerts me from my phone with no destination set.

Do some more testing though.

When I've used Waze without a destination, it ignored several speed cameras around me with no warnings. It seems the way you get the warnings are different when you are actively navigating than not.

Ideally, I'd like an App that nothing but beeps...

One beep when you are 1/4 mile away from a speed camera
Two beeps when you are 1/8 of a mile away from a speed camera
and 3 quick beeps when you are 100 feet from a speed camera

This is all I would need so I don't have to look down at a map and even if I miss the first beep, there are two more. Anyone know of an Android App that can do this? The Waze warnings are designed really for you to look at their map so they can sell advertising with very limited customization for audible warnings and frequency.

Reactions: PhilDavid
True. For red light cameras you have to look down, maybe there’s a setting for audible. Never looked.
For navigation I use both phone and Tesla
All in one would be nice. I hv learned to trust Waze and default to it

I never ever run red lights so those cameras so they are not an issue but it's just the speed cameras that I need a heads up about.

Unfortunately with Wave, unless you are navigating, it does not offer the same speed camera alerts. I really like the car's navigation system so often times I have both Waze and the car's navigation system so it's irritating to have to use two navigation systems at the same time in such an advanced car.