Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Yōjin - Sync your Tesla's Navigation Destination to Waze on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon everyone! I used to write mobile apps for over 20 years and at one time founded one of the more successful app development companies back in the early 2000/2010s. I sold that company years ago and have been hobby developing for awhile, but this is the first time I wrote something I thought others might have some interest in since then.

I like to road-trip my Tesla and the Tesla Navigation works really well, but it's not the same as Waze getting alerting you to construction, hazards on the road, and other reports. I typically run Waze on my phone while driving but it's annoying to try to keep them in sync. For example, recently I drove from Denver to TN and back, and from Denver to Houston and back. For each leg, I used Yōjin to keep Waze in sync and alert me to vehicles on the road or other important alerts.

We show a simple map on-screen so you can see a similar visualization to double check. You can also use Shortcuts to initiate the app or use a Shortcut action directly and do whatever you want with it.

Here is how it works:
1. Enter a Destination in your Tesla's in-car navigation. Tesla's in-car navigation is usually pretty good and it's what I personally rely on. The car will add superchargers if necessary and then your next destination is set (i.e. either your intended final destination or in-route supercharger)
2. Yōjin will connect to your Tesla, read the next destination, and then show it on the map to visualize and validate it's what you expect.
3. If you have "Automatic sync" turned on, it'll automatically send the destination to Waze and you can use Waze to hear audible alerts construction, hazards on the road, and other reports. If you don't, just tap on the "Share" button to manually send the destination to Waze.

That's it!

The Shortcut action is used so you can create automatic shortcuts based on triggers such as Bluetooth connectivity to record your Tesla Destinations to a spreadsheet or perhaps integrate with a different app. We'd love to hear of what integrations you create using the shortcut.

Yōjin has a DEMO mode that doesn't log into any car and just shows a pre-planned starting point and destination to show how it works visually, but otherwise doesn't actually do anything.

What does the name Yōjin mean? Why did we name it that? The idea was that when you're driving you need to be cautious and be aware of what's coming ahead and Yōjin is a Japanese word that conveys that meaning.

I'm currently working on an update to fix a few visual bugs I found, update to the new Tesla API, and fix a couple bugs on startup that seem to happen after prolonged use (like 20 hours straight of driving).

‎Yōjin - App Store Link

I hope you like it. It's meant to be a one trick pony with some expandability to let you do more (shortcuts). It's a convenance app for me, and just doing something I love to do. Feel free to let me know what you think or if there are things you'd like to see - as long as it keeps its focus. There are far more complex/sophisticated apps to do more complex things. When driving, I just want something simple.

Attachments

• iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot1.png
    iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot2.png
    iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot2.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 34
  • iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot3.png
    iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot3.png
    511.1 KB · Views: 29
  • iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot4.png
    iPhone 6.7%22 Display - Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7-inch - Screenshot4.png