Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ice on wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our mY wipers were struggling a bit with sleet last night. 33F and driving sleet in Escanaba MI and north. And this was "avoiding the heavy sleet" in western UP.
Tough conditions for any vehicle. I had to stop every 20 minutes and whack the ice off the blades.

I had cabin heat + defog on, but not "double-tap" defog; and not defrost. I was a bit worried about range, as I had started the previous leg with 18% predicted margin, but ended-up at 0% (!). Stopping to whack the blades got the job done.

Wondering if anyone has put true "winter" blades (with the loose rubber boot covering the arm and blade body) on the Y?
Also, since the windshield fluid runs to the blade body, it would be insteresting to make it run in a loop and heat it to 40F or so.

mY ice.JPG

Reactions: Johnny Vector
1 week later, making the 500 mile drive again Thursday, passing through Escanaba again. Weather for Esky is forecast as Thursday high 34F, dropping to 26F, with one inch of new snow and sleet mix. Yay! This time I will try turning the heated wipers back on every 15 minutes.

Snow showers, possibly mixed with freezing rain and sleet before 8am, then snow showers between 8am and 2pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers after 2pm. High near 34. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of around an inch possible.