Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the heated wiper tray just weak on the ‘22+ Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Subaru used to have a heating element in the wiper tray of the windshield where they parked between strokes. It got hot, it worked great at melting snow and ice off the wipers while driving in precipitation.

The one on my model Y absolutely sucks, I’m not even sure if it’s working. There’s no visible grid lines, and when it’s on and snow slides down the windshield, there is no point where it starts to melt as it glides down the wiper tray. Snowflakes stick to the windshield in this area, instead of melt.

Driving in snow/sleet results in frozen blades after a little while and I have to get out to shake them down. In my old Subaru, not so much, the windshield did a great job at preventing this.

Is this anyone else’s experience? When I had the frunk removed, I did see wires going to the windshield at the bottom passenger side of the glass, so I know the correct windshield is there for this, but it just seems weak or non functional.

Thanks!

can someone post a pic of the button thanks
I don't have the feature but here's a pic from a post in driveteslacanda.ca.
Tesla activates Heated Wiper Park in Fremont-made Model 3/Y with 2022.4.5 software update [Update]
CleanShot 2023-03-04 at 10.31.58@2x.png

Reactions: Scubamikey
Just wondering if others have used it and if it has been effective, maybe it’s just super weak?

It wouldn’t surprise me that Subaru would have a toastier version of this for driving in all climates. :)
Why isnt there a car company that offers a car with all the “best” features from each model. That would be awesome. I am also surprised there isnt a mod to add more powerful heating elements.

Figured I'd just go out and get scientific... Looks like it is in fact working. Just not in the real world. :)

The heating element strip is VERY narrow, if the wipers aren't adjusted perfectly they won't get any benefit of the heated wiper strip. I'm hesitant to call it a "tray," even.

Started at 49ºF on the glass, after 2 minutes it increased to 60º. After 4 minutes it was at 70º. Stopped testing after that, but I don't imagine it gets much warmer. It was finally warm to the touch at 70º. In a constant snow/ice storm, it doesn't really keep up at all, and the precipitation cools it down before it can even do anything. The wattage must be very low. But it's a California car after all!

IMG_6060.jpegIMG_6061.jpegIMG_6062.jpeg

Figured I'd just go out and get scientific... Looks like it is in fact working. Just not in the real world. :)

The heating element strip is VERY narrow, if the wipers aren't adjusted perfectly they won't get any benefit of the heated wiper strip. I'm hesitant to call it a "tray," even.

Started at 49ºF on the glass, after 2 minutes it increased to 60º. After 4 minutes it was at 70º. Stopped testing after that, but I don't imagine it gets much warmer. It was finally warm to the touch at 70º. In a constant snow/ice storm, it doesn't really keep up at all, and the precipitation cools it down before it can even do anything. The wattage must be very low. But it's a California car after all!

View attachment 1007536View attachment 1007537View attachment 1007538

Thanks for that. I drove in the snow storm a few days ago here in MA/NH - and triple checked that I had the windshield heater/blades on, and had the HVAC on max defrost, nearly went deaf while driving; apparently I can't adjust the fan speed while it's set to blow on the windshield. Definitely a California car (or maybe I'm trying to be smarter than the car, and I should stop? I grew up driving in these types of conditions.. always managed to dial in the HVAC perfectly).
Needless to say, my windshield still iced up and the blades were useless. I was less than impressed. I'll have to burn through my washer fluid and change over to de-icer. Though I doubt that it's heated either, but hopefully it will help.

Reactions: fiehlsport
I didn't even realize this was a feature but tested in "proper winter" today - that ice buildup you get on the wipers when the windshield is wet from spray/melt and it dribbles down then cakes on, stopping the wipers contacting the glass and crippling them.

In short, not impressed - the driver wiper seems to get a little defrosted but the passenger one definitely doesn't, at all. I whipped out my FLIR (always knew I'd eventually need it for something...) and it seems like the heating element near the wiper is not very warm, or misplaced - there's a wiper-sized hot bit but it's way above the resting spot of the wiper - see pic below - black is the passenger wiper, hot line above is presumably the heating element?

my-wiper-heat.png