Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If an iPhone and BMW M3 had a child, it would be a Tesla - 3+yrs/40k miles report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving a Tesla for almost 4 years - it's absolutely amazing and I'm never going back to gas - that would be like using the new latest iPhone then going back to an old flip phone. If the new iPhone and a BMW mated, it's child would be a Tesla.

Insurance on my 2018 model w/ full max coverage is $150/year more than my 10 year old Honda w/ liability only coverage. This is because it's incredibly safe - although collision/comp are included in the new Tesla, PIP coverage cost much more in the Honda, that's where ins companies payout the most (Tesla is highest rated in all NHTSA categories, they could not crush the S and broke the machine, could not flip the SUV Model X). The Model 3 has the same highest ratings. I don't want my family in any other car. There isn't a traditional gas engine in the front so they could engineer the car to maximize impact crumple zones.

Fuel cost by charging at home or on the road are less than 50% of gas costs. BTW there's thousands of superchargers for roadtrips (see their website for map) but the beauty of electric is fueling at home in your garage every night and leaving each morning w/ a "full tank" (like your cell phone each day). Unless you're driving beyond battery range (currently 240 - 330 miles for the top model), 95% of your charging will be at home. When you need supercharging for roadtrips they are there.

Driving has never been so much fun. Elon Musk said his #1 goal is to make the safest, most fun car possible and he definitely delivered. He didn't just make the best electric car. He made the best car on the road that happens to be electric. A drawing color pad, Atari games, Easter Eggs, too many cool fun features to list.

My prior model Tesla never felt old during ownership over 3 years. They update the user interface regularly with over-the-air update - the entire fleet of >500,000 vehicles gets them. Sometimes I wake up and the next morning my car has new awesome features or improved existing features. It's like Christmas morning.

It's silent smooth acceleration is amazing and will ruin you for every other car. Someone hit my car and I had to get it repaired. Insurance company gave me a brand new BMW X5 as a rental - I couldn't wait to get back into my 2015 Tesla. The new BMW felt so outdated.

I've used Autopilot for the majority of 40,000 miles. It's awesome and they regularly improve/add new features (with Over-The-Air updates). Last month's update does auto-lanes changes on highways. That's right, the car "looks around 360 degrees (using 2 Radar, 1 Lidar, 2 cameras, 10 US sensors) and picks the best path on a multilane highway. It "sees" 2 car ahead using the Radar and Lidar and will brake if 2 cars ahead exhibits fast deceleration, BEFORE the car in front of you can react. Driving has been exponentially more enjoyable in the Tesla w/ Autopilot. Autopilot reduces stress/fatigue and I feel refreshed even after a long drive somewhere.

This may sound all too amazing to be true, but it is. A fair comparison would be 10 years ago when everyone had non-smart flip-phones and me describing what a new smartphone called the iPhone could do. It may sound too good to be true. You may question if you'd even need any of those capabilities. I didn't believe it could be true after reading the TMC forums for a few years before getting my first Tesla, thought it was all fanboys and talked myself into not getting one from 2012 to 2015. I regret not getting one sooner than 2015.

My brother in law (a hardcore BMW M5 guy, gets a new M5 every 3 years for many years) said electric wasn't for him. As we talked over family dinners occasionally over the past couple years, many of his misconceptions were discussed. 90% of news/media articles are FUD. There's multi-billion dollar industries wanting Tesla to fail (the most shorted stock in history until this past year, numerous industries relying on the gas car & repair industry). My bro-in law took delivery of a Model S last year and last week said he is so glad he took my advice. Said it's the most amazing car that he ever owned and can't imagine going back to BMW or Mercedes ever.

Maintenance: virtually none. In 3 years and 36k miles I took it for 1 "yearly" service. I also had a loose armrest they had to tighten and a loose wire in the door that made a sound when rolling down the window - they secured it. You hardly use brake pads (due to regenerative braking). There's cars w/ >150k miles who've been taking it to the race track just needing brake pad replacement. Under normal use, Tesla said they may last the life of the car. Someone just report 3% wear at their 40k mile service check. You will use a bit more tires due to the regen braking and car's weight.

• Love
Reactions: Scott7 and YisSerL