Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 RWD LR with 45k miles ($23k) vs 2022 M3 SR w/ 52k miles ($25k)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Lounge,

Long time lurker, soon to be first time buyer. Due to federal incentives and the dropping price of older Tesla's, I can finally join the lounge.

I have exhausted myself with research on MILES VS YEAR, MILES VS YEAR, and I just wanted to get eveyrones input on the above equation as of 3/14/2024

I am buying a car from a non-Tesla dealer, they're both trade-ins that the dealer wants to get rid of.

I'm torn betwen a

2018 RWD LR (red) with 45k miles - car also has premium connectivity and enhanced autopilot, which I am having written into the lease as a must transfer or deal is void. Also, the car was registered 8/2018, so that gives me two and a half years for 8 year warranty (23 grand)

OR

2022 SR w/ 52k miles (blue) and no EAP, or any added features really. Car does have Nova Wheels, if that adds anything.

Any input is appreciated, I'm at the 11th hour and have to choose one by 5pm tomorrow. Thanks all.

Long time lurker, soon to be first time buyer. Due to federal incentives and the dropping price of older Tesla's, I can finally join the lounge.
This website is Tesla motors club, not Tesla lounge. Perhaps you are cross posting this post in multiple websites? In any case, given the speed of change and the better build quality, and the relative inexpensiveness of brand new Tesla model 3s, i am not a fan of buying a used one in that price range.

New ones are a really good value, but If someone can only spend 25k on a car, I think there are better choices for used cars.

which I am having written into the lease as a must transfer or deal is void.

Hopefully you ment "written into the purchase" and not what you wrote, which was "written into the lease". Leasing used cars is a BAD BAD idea, so hopefully you are not actually talking about leasing this car, but considering buying it instead.

This website is Tesla motors club, not Tesla lounge. Perhaps you are cross posting this post in multiple websites? In any case, given the speed of change and the better build quality, and the relative inexpensiveness of brand new Tesla model 3s, i am not a fan of buying a used one in that price range.

New ones are a really good value, but If someone can only spend 25k on a car, I think there are better choices for used cars.

Hopefully you ment "written into the purchase" and not what you wrote, which was "written into the lease". Leasing used cars is a BAD BAD idea, so hopefully you are not actually talking about leasing this car, but considering buying it instead.
Thx for the reply. Sounds like you discourage purchaing a used Tesla in any form for under 25k!

I was thinking the 2022 is the way to go due to battery warranty. 2 1/2 years on 2018 vs. a solid 6 years on 2022 would be great. Also people discuss incremenntal design improvements - heat pump doesnt matter much to me as I am in sunny California though

Thx for the reply. Sounds like you discourage purchaing a used Tesla in any form for under 25k!

I was thinking the 2022 is the way to go due to battery warranty. 2 1/2 years on 2018 vs. a solid 6 years on 2022 would be great. Also people discuss incremenntal design improvements - heat pump doesnt matter much to me as I am in sunny California though

The heat pump makes the MOST difference in a place like "sunny socal" which is where I am as well. The closer the temp gets to Zero, the less efficient a heat pump is.. but most places in so cal dont get that close to freezing, so, heat pumps are very effecient. My wifes model Y performance gets pretty much the exact same range as my model 3 performance, even though Tesla states the model Y is 10% less efficient in general.

I attribute most of that difference to the Heat pump, which her model Y has and my 2018 model 3 performance doesnt.

The heat pump makes the MOST difference in a place like "sunny socal" which is where I am as well. The closer the temp gets to Zero, the less efficient a heat pump is.. but most places in so cal dont get that close to freezing, so, heat pumps are very effecient. My wifes model Y performance gets pretty much the exact same range as my model 3 performance, even though Tesla states the model Y is 10% less efficient in general.

I attribute most of that difference to the Heat pump, which her model Y has and my 2018 model 3 performance doesnt.
So interesting, I assumed heat pump was an emergency measure for cold weather, DIdn't realize it had any benefits for those of us in moderate temps

Hi Tesla Lounge,

I have exhausted myself with research on MILES VS YEAR, MILES VS YEAR, and I just wanted to get eveyrones input on the above equation as of 3/14/2024

I am buying a car from a non-Tesla dealer, they're both trade-ins that the dealer wants to get rid of.

I'm torn betwen a

2018 RWD LR (red) with 45k miles - car also has premium connectivity and enhanced autopilot, which I am having written into the lease as a must transfer or deal is void. Also, the car was registered 8/2018, so that gives me two and a half years for 8 year warranty (23 grand)

OR

2022 SR w/ 52k miles (blue) and no EAP, or any added features really. Car does have Nova Wheels, if that adds anything.

Any input is appreciated, I'm at the 11th hour and have to choose one by 5pm tomorrow. Thanks all.
I bought a 18 M3LR last year with 55k miles for 26k. I'm glad I got the long range. It's got some premium features and the best thing is the audio system. It's way better than the standard range version. Plus you'll also get premium connectivity for life of the car. I get a nice 303 mile range on mine and looks and drives like it's brand new. My advise will be buy the long range.

OK I stand corrected. I thought all the 18s had the PC.

Im pretty sure its specific models, perhaps ordered before the end of 3rd quarter 2018 but I dont know the cutoff for a fact. I just know its possible to not have it, since I dont (lol). My car was ordered late november of 2018 and delivered in the beginning of december of 2018.