Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IL Net Metering and Hourly Billing with ComEd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trigger warning: If you're in CA, you may want to skip this post. Seing electricity prices in IL will hurt.

I've been on hourly billing for years because I had a PHEV before getting my Tesla. When I got solar, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that net metering worked with hourly billing, so the credits I'm gaining for solar production use the cost of electricity at the time it was generated.

Yes. You read that right.

If the cost of electricity is 0.12/KWh at noon and 0.02/KWh at midnight, I get 6 KWh for every 1 KWh I sent to the grid.

I mention this because a friend told me that ComEd wouldn't change him to hourly billing. His net metering is a 1 to 1 trade, which isn't bad but it's nowhere near as good as what imI getting. It seems they'll let you keep the hourly plan if you're already on it when you sign up for net metering, but they won't let you change to it after the fact. It's also possible that I was grandfathered in and they just don't let people do this anymore at all. I don't have confirmation from ComEd regarding the current policy but I got it in writing from the net metering team when I started the process a little over a year ago. You may want to look in to it.

FYI: If you have an EV and you charge overnight, you should definitely be looking at hourly billing. You'll always have to pay the usual delivery cost, but it's rare that the cost of electricity goes over 2¢ between midnight and 5 am. Even better, there are plenty of times when the cost goes negative so ComEd is basically paying you to soak up the excess.

Just wanted to make sure people were aware...

• Funny
Reactions: Late2theGame
I swtiched to ComEd hourly in January pretty crazy that my electricity bill hasn't change with charging the 75D daily. Can you tell me info on your solar install did you do it yourself etc? Hit me up in PM if you dont mind.
Pm sent. One thing I forgot to mention... If you don't already have it, get the ComEd app for your phone and set it to send high price alerts. I have mine set to notify me if the price will go over 15¢ so I can make sure the AC isn't blasting and that the wifey isn't charging.

hi there... greetings from Logan Square.
are you still on both net metering and hourly rate?
who did your solar install?
I'm considering Tesla Solar Panels plus two Powerwalls, 8.5kwh system for my rehab.
currently flat rate is at 6.7c, which is what I have.
current hourly rate is 15c at 4pm and 3.5c at 2am

hi there... greetings from Logan Square.
are you still on both net metering and hourly rate?
who did your solar install?
I'm considering Tesla Solar Panels plus two Powerwalls, 8.5kwh system for my rehab.
currently flat rate is at 6.7c, which is what I have.
current hourly rate is 15c at 4pm and 3.5c at 2am

The person you are asking has not logged into TMC since July of 2020, so you are unlikely to get an answer from them specifically.