Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois proposed Registration HIKE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly is the issue here? Something we all have to understand is the primary source of funding for "roads" comes from the gas tax. If you're not buying gas you're getting the road use for free which isn't remotely fair or equitable. While I think $1K is a bit steep, I don't think it's completely out of line. No one seems to want the per mileage tax due to big brother concerns so there aren't many options left...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: posity and TexasEV
The issue is equity. Current gas tax in Illinois is $.19 per gallon. Proposed to double to $.38 per gallon. So for $1000, at $.38, that is the equivalent of 2631 gallons of gas. For a 30MPG car (fairly average now?), that is about 79,000 miles per year. Yet the average in the US is around 12,000 miles per year per vehicle, if I recall. So EVs would be paying 7 times the average gas tax of everyone else. Don't you see some (huge) disparity there???

Other states are in the $100-$150 per year range - which is at least an attempt to be more equitable when you do the above math.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
It's another reason why so many people want out of IL. We are a sinking ship that has over $330 billion in unfunded pension liabilities, the most amount of taxing bodies, and rampant corruption. We are in a death spiral with huge out-migration of families, college students, and millennial's that is accelerating our day of reckoning. It's too bad, but in order for the state to move forward, we must either get serious about reforms or wait until the insolvency hits the state. If my wife would let me, I would be out of this state and retain as much of my property value as possible, but the kids are in school. This tax is just another of a huge line of proposed taxes to try and prop up the state for as long as possible. Man, I really, really hate the state of IL...

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
Here is the exact info in the proposed bill...

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 5.20.26 PM.png

One other thing to note. The registration for a gas car is increasing from $98 to $148. So in reality, it will cost an additional $850 to drive an electric car. Others have said it. Illinois is in SERIOUS trouble. They will have to tax everything in sight. There is no way they are going to get control of their pensions. We are moving as soon as my son graduates high school. This conversation is happening with a lot of other neighbors. Here is one other fun Illinois fact.....one in six pay taxes. Those that move out of state are the ones that are currently paying taxes. How do you think this story will end?