Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Acceleration with AWD and S60 versus S75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at buying my first Model S, and I'm specifically looking at used cars to save some money. I'm focusing on 2017 and 2016.5 models because I like the newer body style better. One thing I'm unclear on is whether AWD improves acceleration. Tesla has several 2016.5 Model S 75's for sale on the website. Some are AWD and some are RWD, and they're all rated at 5.5 seconds for 0-60. Can anyone shed some light on this? I live in Dallas, so I don't really *need* the AWD for snow and ice. A little better handling would be nice, but probably not worth the extra money for me if it doesn't also come with an acceleration boost.

Same question about an S60 versus and S75. Is there any difference in acceleration or just better battery range?

Thanks.

An "uncorked" base S75D is as fast as my old P85 RWD. Tesla was able to increase 0-60 times on AWD models because the batteries themselves can output more than enough power and the front motor can handle 200 extra horsepower without reducing what is sent to the rear. This is no guarantee that every AWD car is faster - see the "uncorking" threads to also understand that 0-60 is software related on Teslas and not just hardware and not every AWD had the performance unlockable.

Drive both, pick the one that you like most. The slowest Tesla ever made is still pretty quick and even the Semi truck will out accelerate a 10 year old Mustang GT to 60.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Don't rely on the Tesla published figures. Some cars are considerably faster. Below is an excerpt from the Performance Metrics. 0-60 is almost a second quicker. Add a quarter second to account for rollout. And high speed passing is better, but not so much that most would notice. Sorry, no quarter mile numbers for the RWD, so ignore the flat part of the RWD data above 60 mph:

upload_2018-9-19_11-0-37.png

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4