Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inexperienced 19 Year Old interested in repairing a salvage Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, maybe he can do it and drive away happy... odds seemed stacked against him by his own admission and what we all know to be true about salvage Teslas and work needed.

I guess my train of thought has been -- If he finds a car that is "easier" to repair, its not going to be in his price range. it'll get bid up appropriately. Might as well NOT get the P85D and just enjoy another version of Tesla used/CPO. You can swap in a P85D and a packfuse later if you have some kind of itch to modify and root... Anyway, just my opinion, especially after dealing with my cars issues.

Where it stands right now is that I will be looking for a P85D with front collision damage and hopefully a perfect condition frame.

You all have advised me to avoid rear collision as quarter panel damage is apparently more difficult than it seems watching these videos. (Even though it appears like just a little bit of cutting, applying adhesive/screws, and having it painted)

Flood damage is out of the question because I do not have the space to have two Teslas sitting in my driveway. I also don’t believe I have something able to lift/drop the drivetrain and/or battery.

Side collision also seems out of the question because if the doors are bent, the frame by the rocker will most likely be damaged as well.

You’re certainly right about the price/relationship with the intensity of the repair, let’s hope it can be found and repaired within the budget.

Last edited:
You all have advised me to avoid rear collision as quarter panel damage is apparently more difficult than it seems watching these videos. (Even though it appears like just a little bit of cutting, applying adhesive/screws, and having it painted)

And welding, forgot to mention that. I still wonder if the cost to have it done and painted at a shop would be over the cost for repairing a front collision by myself.

And welding, forgot to mention that. I still wonder if the cost to have it done and painted at a shop would be over the cost for repairing a front collision by myself.

2016-05-11%2011.22.32.jpg

This damage to my P85D (basically a rear quarter and two doors) was ~$15k professionally repaired. Took ~2 weeks (after waiting for parts). $15k was lowest among 4 bids.

• Informative
Reactions: Dvb51
2016-05-11%2011.22.32.jpg

This damage to my P85D (basically a rear quarter and two doors) was ~$15k professionally repaired. Took ~2 weeks (after waiting for parts). $15k was lowest among 4 bids.

Very interesting, thank you! Did you supply the person who repaired it the parts or did they source them out?

I definitely don't have the tools to cut/weld that quarter panel properly. Have you attempted to repair/replace one yourself since?

Very interesting, thank you! Did you supply the person who repaired it the parts or did they source them out?

I definitely don't have the tools to cut/weld that quarter panel properly. Have you attempted to repair/replace one yourself since?

Tesla won’t sell you a rear qp. Those are body shop prices for “proper” repair with a Tesla supplied part. Mine was 22k for very similar damage and an additional door. I don’t have pictures on mobile.

Tesla won’t sell you a rear qp. Those are body shop prices for “proper” repair with a Tesla supplied part. Mine was 22k for very similar damage and an additional door. I don’t have pictures on mobile.

From what I've seen, there's no short supply for quarter panels going for around 800+ on the grey market like eBay.

There is an official body shop process (that you're not going to find anywhere legitimate because Tesla will sue the life out of anyone who releases such stuff), which, IMO, is mostly a guideline anyway. To do an actual decent job with something like a Tesla rear quarter you have to have the training and experience of working with them or similar things on other high end vehicles. There is no substitute for this.

If you don't know what you're doing and you try to do something like a Tesla rear quarter replacement... you might as well just take that money and set it on fire. Same end result... nothing accomplished except wasting money.

Even replacing bolt on stuff on the front of the car is trickier than people think. You've seen people complain about panel gaps on Teslas? If you don't know what you're doing there you'll end up with panel gaps you can stick your hand through. These cars are 50% shims. lol.

Apologies if I'm not totally supportive of a complete novice trying to take on any of this stuff. As someone who ends up getting contacted for help with nearly everything related to Tesla repair, I've seen far too many people who just have no clue what they're doing throwing a bunch of money at these things for no real reason. They don't know what they're doing and expect the ones who do to do a bunch to help them, generally scoffing at us when we don't want to do so for free or for pennies. In the end they either are left with half-*** repairs, an expensive paperweight, spend way more time and money on repairs than they should have (more than the vehicle is worth), or they just try to cut their losses and moved on. Out of dozens of people who I've dealt with fixing these cars, only a small few have managed to do anything successfully, and all of them had prior experience in one or more fields related to vehicle repair.

There is an official body shop process (that you're not going to find anywhere legitimate because Tesla will sue the life out of anyone who releases such stuff), which, IMO, is mostly a guideline anyway. To do an actual decent job with something like a Tesla rear quarter you have to have the training and experience of working with them or similar things on other high end vehicles. There is no substitute for this.

If you don't know what you're doing and you try to do something like a Tesla rear quarter replacement... you might as well just take that money and set it on fire. Same end result... nothing accomplished except wasting money.

Even replacing bolt on stuff on the front of the car is trickier than people think. You've seen people complain about panel gaps on Teslas? If you don't know what you're doing there you'll end up with panel gaps you can stick your hand through. These cars are 50% shims. lol.

Apologies if I'm not totally supportive of a complete novice trying to take on any of this stuff. As someone who ends up getting contacted for help with nearly everything related to Tesla repair, I've seen far too many people who just have no clue what they're doing throwing a bunch of money at these things for no real reason. They don't know what they're doing and expect the ones who do to do a bunch to help them, generally scoffing at us when we don't want to do so for free or for pennies. In the end they either are left with half-*** repairs, an expensive paperweight, spend way more time and money on repairs than they should have (more than the vehicle is worth), or they just try to cut their losses and moved on. Out of dozens of people who I've dealt with fixing these cars, only a small few have managed to do anything successfully, and all of them had prior experience in one or more fields related to vehicle repair.

I believe this thread accomplished the gist of what I’m trying to get at without prior experience. Simply an interest, desire, some money, a good find, and the help of the kind folks on the forum seem to be all that’s necessary to accomplish it.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/attempting-to-repair-front-collision-salvaged-tesla.101355/#post-2457087

I don’t plan on purchasing something that I don’t feel confident in taking head on (Pun intended). Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done as much research as possible in the last week and feel more educated as a result.

Last edited:
I believe this thread accomplished the gist of what I’m trying to get at without prior experience. Simply an interest, desire, some money, a good find, and the help of the kind folks on the forum seem to be all that’s necessary to accomplish it.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/attempting-to-repair-front-collision-salvaged-tesla.101355/#post-2457087

I don’t plan on purchasing something that I don’t feel confident in taking head on (Pun intended). Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done as much research as possible in the last week and feel more educated as a result.

@desoukya got mad lucky, I remember this thread, he got a lot of help from folks too, as well as probably pulling his hair out. If you look at his finished pics, his salvage pieces are questionably lined up with the body. I'm sure its fine if you "just want a tesla" but bleh.

I think the FIRST issue in all of this is that no matter how much research you do, you cant know for sure whats actually wrong with the car until you buy it. Its funny you referenced his thread but not the other 60 threads of people utterly failing to rebuild a salvage they purchased. Just trying to be realistic here.

• Love
@desoukya got mad lucky, I remember this thread, he got a lot of help from folks too, as well as probably pulling his hair out. If you look at his finished pics, his salvage pieces are questionably lined up with the body. I'm sure its fine if you "just want a tesla" but bleh.

I think the FIRST issue in all of this is that no matter how much research you do, you cant know for sure whats actually wrong with the car until you buy it. Its funny you referenced his thread but not the other 60 threads of people utterly failing to rebuild a salvage they purchased. Just trying to be realistic here.

You’re absolutely right, you can never be sure what’s wrong with the car until you get down and dirty taking it apart. That’s the biggest gamble and it’s one you have almost no control over. If possible, I will absolutely search to find the right one in New Jersey and take a ride to inspect it in person. I’m not exactly sure what they let you look at so I don’t know if it’s worthwhile.

Although you can never be sure until all is said and done, my current methodology of inspection is firstly checking the way every panel lines up in the photos, even those that weren’t damaged. I believe looking at the alignment of the panel can be another good indicator of frame damage that might otherwise be hard to tell. Other than that, the frame rail and subframe is another gamble with only a few photos where you can only guess at best.

"Its funny you referenced his thread but not the other 60 threads of people utterly failing to rebuild a salvage they purchased." = youthful exuberance.

OP: many folks here (including 3 or 4 posts from wk057 himself!) are trying to help you not bite off more than you can chew. You're just out of high school, so I hope this analogy speaks to you: you didn't take the SAT in first grade, right? You gotta build up to some things.

Someone with little to no experience trying to rebuild an all-aluminum luxury EV, not only with no factory support but active factory efforts to fight you, where you can't buy a single part a dealer, etc., seems like too far a reach.

We admire your enthusiasm and don't want you to fail. So how about you start off with a wrecked Prius? It's much cheaper, it's steel, Toyota will sell you parts and not remotely disable the car's features, and you can tinker with the battery system if you like, perhaps adding a pack and allowing EV-only operation. THEN, after your training wheels come off, take on the Tour de France, er, a Tesla rebuild.

Good luck!

sorry i'm late to this post as people are mainly talking about body work, etc but my concern is: when you guys repair these electric cars back to life arn't you worried about electrical issues/wiring issues if it isn't done properly (like from Tesla certified technicians)? How the heck do you know exactly what you're wiring and grounding/charging? I'm also a newbie for EVs but I do have experience in repairing ICE cars

I get that many people like to be hands on and take on a challenge. Something to be learned even if you lose money. However I think you'd be better using your funds to buy a RWD LR Model 3 and pursuing a job in an authorized Tesla body shop starting out if you can get in somewhere in an apprentice program and taking classes. If EV repairs are something you'd like to get into, might be the best of both worlds.