Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inland Platinum SSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used an Inland SSD drive successfully?
- Inland Platinum 500GB SSD 3D NAND USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C External Solid State Drive - Micro Center

2021 M3, Long Range, picked up in the fall of that year.

I was getting the USB device malfunction - I/O error warning with my 2.5 yr old Tesla USB thumb drive. I switched to the drive just mentioned, formatted it in the car, and still have this warning message within a day of switching. So, I'm wondering if this drive is incompatible or not. If not, I'd like to find something not too expensive that is known to work. I don't need a lot of storage.

Does this ever turn out to be a real service issue for the car or is it always just a storage device issue?

Hmm, the specs seem fine. I use a Samsung T7 which is similar without issue. Doesn't hurt to reach out to support, since still under warranty. They may be able to tap into car and see whatever internal error.

They looked last week, did a thumbwheel reboot, said to try that. Still having problems. Can I connect the SSD via the console USB ports instead of the glove box? This would be a test of whether this is a problem with the glove box USB port.

Although the drive seemed to format fine in the car, I brought it in, formatted it on my Mac as exFAT, made the TeslaCam directory, and I've now been able to use it for a day without problems. Fingers crossed. The old filesystem seemed to be there and I could see a couple of videos thta I captured after formatting in the car. It really seemed to set up okay via the car....but then...all the I/O errors. We'll see how this does.

I've not formatted through the car, as I have a music partition. I've only formatted through a PC. Hopefully, that does the trick for you. Some people seem to re-format their drives annually or so to try and stay away from issues. (I didn't think the other ports worked for dashcam etc., but not really sure)