Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another V11 Software Issue? 2021 'Legacy' Model X Front USB Ports Apparently Stopped Working 12/24/2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Anyone else have this problem (with 'Legacy' Models S or X)? Can you offer a solution?

Symptoms:
  • Two front center console USB (data + power) ports not working. No power (0 volts); no data transfer.

• USB memory-storage device (Samsung 850 Pro SSD attached to one port) has stopped working (last known saved-file date: 12/24/21).
  • Dashcam feature doesn't work
  • iPod (for music) doesn't play.
  • iPhone won't charge or play music.
  • Wireless phone charger can't work.

• All these devices worked when attached to the front USB ports before (from April to December, 2021).
  • Rear two center-console USB (power only) ports still work (5.13 volts).
  • Center console front 12-volt outlet (right next to USB ports) still works (5.08 volts).
  • USB memory-storage device is properly formatted.

• Not the cable. (It works on other devices.)
  • Not the SSD, iPhone, or iPod (they all work on other devices).
  • The (SSD) USB drive has plenty of storage space left.
  • Car manufactured 12/4/2021.
Have tried:
  • Both USB power/data ports.
  • Disconnecting and reinserting USB cable.
  • Changing USB cable.
  • Changing the USB stored-memory device.
  • Soft and hard car reboots.
Possible Causes:
  1. Software - Software update (to 2021.44.25.6)?
  2. Hardware - Fuse or circuit breaker?
  3. Hardware - Short circuit (wire or connector)?
  4. Other?
I have already placed a service order request (scheduled for mobile repair January 19, 2022). Meanwhile, if anyone (perhaps with a legacy model) has a solution, please let me know. I do not like being without working Dashcam and Sentry Mode video recording.

Screenshots:

1. Dashcam Settings 2. Dashcam Warning Screen 3. Top Icons - Sentry Mode On 4. Top Icons - Sentry Mode Off

1. "Safety" screen language states that a USB drive needs to be inserted (into a USB data port). (It already was.)

2. Touchscreen warning appears when Dashcam App is activated. (Never used to happen.)

3. Sentry Mode can still be activated. (One of the reasons I didn't notice the problem sooner.)

4. But Sentry Mode shuts off after awhile (presumably because no storage device is detected).

For solution, see Link in Post #8 below.

Last edited:
I've been having problems with the USB ports on my 3 since late 2020. I've posted several times in this thread USB Device Malfunction

Same symptoms as you described, except if also affects my two rear USB ports when they go out. I brought my car to service and they blamed the SSD causing the car to cut power temporarily. Model 3 has solid state fuse so the ports start working again after a while. I might try the OEM flash drive to see if it makes a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Anyone else have this problem (with 'Legacy' Models S or X)? Can you offer a solution?...
  • Two front center console USB (data + power) ports not working. No power (0 volts); no data transfer.

Update: I downloaded the 2021.44.30.5 firmware, but unfortunately there is no change with the malfunctioning USB data ports. Increasingly looks like it is a hardware problem. Annoying not to have video storage or ability to listen to stored music.

02/01/2022 Update: After having my original January 19 mobile repair appointment re-scheduled (by Tesla; no explanation) to January 31, I finally met with a mobile tech guy on Monday. He watched as I demonstrated the symptoms (with a USB voltage meter) and said, "I cant fix that. It has to go into the shop for removal of the center console." (And who knows what else?) In preparation for this mobile service call he had been given an oddly-shaped, black-plastic piece that apparently encircles and anchors the two metal USB data ports. How someone at Service thought that it was going to fix an electrical problem, I don't know. Service had of course been supplied with a detailed description of the problem by me.

Annoying.

Now I have to wait (without security video storage; come and get me thieves and vandals!) once again until at least February 17th. I'm told via a service message that the car may be in the Sacramento shop the whole day, possibly overnight or longer, with no guarantee of a loaner vehicle. (It's my only car.)

Double annoying.

I did enjoy talking to the tech guy. He was not happy with Tesla service, specifically concerning this call and in general. I had, of course, already performed a car re-boot from the steering-wheel buttons. Just to be thorough, he performed a full re-boot, wherein the 12-volt and high-voltage batteries were disconnected (under the front hood). (That results in some interesting little software after-effects [e.g., the "Doors" popup image that appears when you place the car in park and remove the seat-belt was negatively affected]. It takes about 24 hours all-told for those to work themselves out.) No effect on the USB problem. He thinks it is almost surely a hardware failure somewhere.

I will provide further update after my service center visit later this month. Fingers crossed.

IMO, it could be a failed firmware update but partially.
In my case, MX failed firmware update at 2021.32.10 and can't drive.
Mobile tech came and removed center console to get to MCU to replace/reprogram on board MicroSD card.
In your case, I think that tech doesn't have a proper training for these jobs and blamed SC.
From what you said, he seemed not even know how a computer works in general.

Last edited:
IMO, it could be a failed firmware update but partially.
In my case, MX failed firmware update at 2021.32.10 and can't drive.
Mobile tech came and remove center console to get to MCU to replace/reprogram on board MicroSD card.
In your case, I think that tech doesn't have a proper training for these jobs and blamed SC.
From what you said, he seemed not even know how a computer works in general.

Possible. I just hope they can quickly fix the problem (and not have to dump me out of the FSD beta program while they do it.).

The inconvenience of all this is what gets me. Modern life seems to be getting harder and harder, not easier, with increased technology. Companies, like Tesla, hide behind technology in lieu of hiring more good people to deal with customers in person. It's a crap buiness model that can't ultimately succeed, imo. Right now, we all want what Tesla has. But if someone comes along with something better...*

If Rivian and Lucid keep their acts together and treat customers right, Tesla better watch out.

On the other hand, as companies develop and grow it is not uncommon for them to fall afoul of the lure of the siren's call: greater profit, profit, profit...
* These days I am particularly annoyed with all the security necessary to get into Google, eBay, AT&T, my bank, etc. websites. Talk about inconvenience. Yes we want and need our data secure. But it seems like legitimate customers are bearing the brunt. How many levels of annoying security will we tolerate? Can't the companies write more secure code? Google is particularly bad, and the irony is that Google makes its money primarily by stealing and selling our information.

I am in a bad mood today. Can you tell?