Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inner toe links

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Ordered these inner toe links from monkeywrench.

Do the S2 Elise install instructions translate directly to the Tesla Roadster or are there any deviations?

My mechanic is saying that he has to drill for a larger bolt and is hesitant to make an irreversible modifications from stock.

I tried these same links a few years ago, and ended up selling them on the Lotus forum. They were super high quality and I wanted to make them work, but I wasn't confident in the modifications that would be required. The Roadster rear subframe is completely different from the Elise's.

Elise. The OEM track rod is mounted in single shear. It's notorious for breaking, hence the multiple aftermarket upgrades available. Some vendors add an outer plate to the subframe, putting the track rod in double shear. Others put a center link between the two sides like shown here. BOE's solution was to use a larger aerospace grade bolt.
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 12.56.08 PM.png

My Roadster with the BOE rod inserted, with the OEM bolt. Notice that the Roadster's subframe has the track rod in double shear. This complicates the BOE link install in several ways:
- The bolt provided by BOE isn't long enough, as it has additional metal to go through vs the Lotus rear.
- The bolt is also bigger, so you have to drill out the holes in the subframe as well as the control arm bushing. Not reversible.
- You'll need a spacer of some kind to snug the heim joint between the bolt holes. Not an issue on the Lotus because the bolt head tightens up against it.
- Can't reuse the OEM bolt because the hole in the heim joint is sized to accept the larger bolt.
IMG_6664.jpeg

Hope this is helpful!

I tried these same links a few years ago, and ended up selling them on the Lotus forum. They were super high quality and I wanted to make them work, but I wasn't confident in the modifications that would be required. The Roadster rear subframe is completely different from the Elise's.

Elise. The OEM track rod is mounted in single shear. It's notorious for breaking, hence the multiple aftermarket upgrades available. Some vendors add an outer plate to the subframe, putting the track rod in double shear. Others put a center link between the two sides like shown here. BOE's solution was to use a larger aerospace grade bolt.
View attachment 862632

My Roadster with the BOE rod inserted, with the OEM bolt. Notice that the Roadster's subframe has the track rod in double shear. This complicates the BOE link install in several ways:
- The bolt provided by BOE isn't long enough, as it has additional metal to go through vs the Lotus rear.
- The bolt is also bigger, so you have to drill out the holes in the subframe as well as the control arm bushing. Not reversible.
- You'll need a spacer of some kind to snug the heim joint between the bolt holes. Not an issue on the Lotus because the bolt head tightens up against it.
- Can't reuse the OEM bolt because the hole in the heim joint is sized to accept the larger bolt.
View attachment 862631

Hope this is helpful!
Exactly what i needed and super helpful. Thanks so much!