Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install Day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9.6 kW (24) Solar Panels with 2 Powerwalls. Crew was incredible. Insanley clean install. Took them 8 hours start to finsh. One of the solar installers even cleaned my gutters while he was waiting around. Simply blown away.

IMG_4012.jpeg
IMG_4006.jpeg
IMG_4011.jpeg
IMG_4015.jpeg

Awesome! I have been looking to build out a system on my own but I keep looking at the Powerwall and really just wanting to buy a couple of those. They are a clean install and aren't huge like what I would have to build on my own.

Awesome! I have been looking to build out a system on my own but I keep looking at the Powerwall and really just wanting to buy a couple of those. They are a clean install and aren't huge like what I would have to build on my own.
You might want to check what your homeowners insurance carrier thinks of large homemade battery installations before you build your own.

@TBrownTX
I'm also looking at a solar install. The online estimate suggests a 14.4 kw system. I have a one floor 2200 sq ft house with 1 HVAC. So, this seems like overkill. I am in VA and summers are hot & humid. Could you let me know your sq ft, number of HVACs, and whether your 9.6 kw system is able to supply your daily needs? Thanks!!

@TBrownTX
I'm also looking at a solar install. The online estimate suggests a 14.4 kw system. I have a one floor 2200 sq ft house with 1 HVAC. So, this seems like overkill. I am in VA and summers are hot & humid. Could you let me know your sq ft, number of HVACs, and whether your 9.6 kw system is able to supply your daily needs? Thanks!!
What’s your monthly electric usage in kWh? Or your electric bill and the cost per kwh?

@TBrownTX

Exactly the same system Tesla recommended for me. I opted to drop the panels back to 9.6kW and added a second PowerWall. My reason for doing so is that battery backup was the primary driver for me getting the system.

My house is also around 2200 sq ft and I have a single 5 ton HVAC unit.

I've only had the system for two months, and for a month and a half of that we have had 100+ degree days in Texas. I'm seeing about 40% offset as a result, with the AC unit running on a continual basis from about 2PM-8PM every day.

In the first half of June before the super hot temps, I was seeing about 60% offset.

Personally I feel my system is sized well. I expect in the spring/fall I'll be close to self powered, and will probably generate excess in the winter (heat is natural gas). I do have net-metering at full retail, but excess month to month is not credited.

Will see how it goes over time, but so far no regrets with the system I selected.

Tim

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KennyBry
I should add that PVWatts calculator estimates average annual output for my system at 1,268 kw, with a peak of 1,479 kw in July and a low of 1,045 kw in December. I'm on track to generate 1350 kw in July so seeing about 9% less output than predicted by PVWatts this month.

Considering my average 1,506 kw/mo compared to my estimated 1,268 kw/mo, I figure I'll see an annual offset of about 75%. So my system will never make me "self sufficient" however I won't be giving away free electricity to the grid.

One important thing to note. I am an EV driver and charge my Tesla Model 3 at home, so those average numbers do include EV charging. Without the EV I suspect my offset might be as much as 20% higher, which I also feel good about sizing wise.

And one final thing to consider, I have seen Tesla sizing 12 kw and 14.4 kw systems with the 7.6 kw inverter. I don't "clip" with my 9.6kw system, but I have seen my output reach 7.6 kw on several occasions. Feels like more panels would not have been all that beneficial, at least for me.

Tim

• Informative
Reactions: KennyBry