Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 AC cable connector failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

My 3 year old Powerwall 2 recently started tripping the battery isolator breaker....mainly when the battery was on charge.

Problem was reported to Tesla and assigned a Tier 2 service ticket.

While waiting for a comeback from Tesla I had a friend who is a PW installer look at the battery. We found the problem straight away after popping the access panel containing the connectors for cabling from The Gateway. The AC connector was a melted mass of plastic and insulation on the wires was also melted.

My tech friend replaced the green coloured connector with Wago connectors and also ran an extra earthwire...the originally fitted earth wasn't of correct gauge.

I contacted the installer of the system and he maintains that overheating of the green coloured connector is a known problem with the connectors originally supplied by Tesla with the Powerwall kit. I didnt bother asking why if he knew about the issue he didn't contact customers like myself to warn of the failure of the connector.

Has anyone else had this issue and is the failure of the green coloured connectors a known issue?

Cheers and thanks in advance

IMG_4119 (1).jpeg
IMG_4120 (1).jpeg

Please note part of my query is establishing whether the failed connector was a Tesla supplied part or a part substitute by my installer. Wago connectors are now definitely part of the PW installation kit supplied by Tesla here in Australia.
Sorry that you are going through this. It seems fortunate that you noticed the problem before it was a big problem.

Is that quick connector an actual Wago brand connector? The object in the photo looks a trifle smokey and warped, so it is hard for me to tell from a distance...;) The range of permitted connectors here is a little different than the EU (EC), and I'm not at all familiar with permitted connectors in Australia. Here UL approval tends to be required.

All the best,

BG

Sorry that you are going through this. It seems fortunate that you noticed the problem before it was a big problem.

Is that quick connector an actual Wago brand connector? The object in the photo looks a trifle smokey and warped, so it is hard for me to tell from a distance...;) The range of permitted connectors here is a little different than the EU (EC), and I'm not at all familiar with permitted connectors in Australia. Here UL approval tends to be required.

All the best,

BG
No the connector that failed is a Phoenix brand two pin plug and socket connector. My technician friend replaced the ailed connector with separate Wago connectors on the phase and neutral wires. Tesla currently supplies Wago connectors as part of the PW kit now in Australia.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder