Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance For M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thickening the plot further is that both Churchill and Privilege appear on the confused.com quote lists with prices very similar to what they provide direct. When you choose them as an insurer and it takes you to their site it populates the car details without "Import" at the end, which leads me to believe they are using the same ABI number but have systems displaying the car correctly.

This should, in theory, mean that the cheaper quotes from other providers (where it does say Import) are valid?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Bit of an update - Admiral called me after reviewing my phone call with their sales team. They're going to check with their underwriter whether they can use the "import" ABI code to provide me with non-import insurance - should find out within 24 hours.

On a semi-related note - when does the reg number Tesla assign start appearing on systems? I got an email on Saturday giving me the reg number, but it hasn't appeared on any insurance system and returns no results on the DVLA vehicle check tool either (which is the first place I would expect to see it!)

I got an email on Saturday giving me the reg number but it hasn't appeared on any insurance system

The email i got specifically said it would not be available via online databases:

Your registration is XX19 XXX

Please note your new Tesla will be registered 24 hours prior to your scheduled delivery. As such, will not appear in databases. We recommend calling up your preferred insurer, as opposed to getting online quotes, insurance companies are aware of this process for brand-new vehicles.

was your email different? Please tell me they aren't hand typing each one ....

Reactions: Rooster6655
The email i got specifically said it would not be available via online databases:

Your registration is XX19 XXX

Please note your new Tesla will be registered 24 hours prior to your scheduled delivery. As such, will not appear in databases. We recommend calling up your preferred insurer, as opposed to getting online quotes, insurance companies are aware of this process for brand-new vehicles.

was your email different? Please tell me they aren't hand typing each one ....
Mine was different! Basic in comparison:

"We've registered your Model 3
License Plate*
Your license plate number is: XX19 XXX

VIN
Your vehicle identification number is:
5YJ3F7.....

*Your Model 3 will be delivered on its government issue registration plate. If you would like to use your private plate, we recommend putting it on retention as soon as possible. You can arrange the transfer directly with the DVLA once the V5 arrives by post, one week after collection."

The only insurance related info on mine was to say that I should activate my insurance as the "Model 3 will not come with seven-day away insurance."

i spoke to LV and DL
LV did not have the SR+ on their system but quote as a MS 60 and said they would drop the price if it was cheaper when the got details for the SR+.
I ended up going with DL who had the SR+ on their system. The quote were about the same. DL was a little bit more expensive without the free towing if you run out of juice that LV offers

Both LV and DirectLine are offering competitive quotes for M3 from their websites for me today.

TIP: On the LV site, for me their quote goes down from £598 to £561 when I enter the drivers license numbers of myself+spouse instead of manually completing the "how long have you held your license for" etc questions. YMMV.

DirectLine are at £635. Both quotes are with NCB protection turned off. LV's ladder on NCBs and their discount levels seems better than DL's to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Chalks99
My 2016 S was £500 last year. This year I did GoCompere and got £346 and £348 as best 2 quotes. Rest were hundreds more!

GoSkippy and Debenhams.
Chose Debenhams as GoSkippy had £100 windscreen excess. Debs nothing.
Go compare are protecting £250 of any excess!

I've shopped around and the cheapest for me is £850 with Direct Line. I am 62 yrs old with a clean licence, 10+ years NCB kept on our drive over night and also put a excess of £1000 (cover the excess separately)

It all seems very high!
That is a lot of money.

It could be to do with where you live.

Also the price goes up and up the closer you get to needing the insurance. The optimum time to lock in a quote is 21 days before the start date.

Reactions: Trevor EV