Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance mileage - Miles Driven and Rated Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a M3 SR+ since August and absolutely love it but need some advice with insurance and annual mileage

My M3 is showing my current milage as 7.5k but I know I've not driven that far and my understanding is that this is battery miles used. On Teslafi it shows miles driven as 5.5k which sounds about right and the rated miles used matches the mileage shown in my car.

Does anybody know which figure insurance companies would use for their annual mileage figure? I normally estimate I’ll do around 7k miles so am deciding whether to alter my insurance.

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
Where do you see this 7.5k? You sure you have it as miles and not km?

On the main page of the Tesla app at the bottom is the mileage driven and also if you hit the "T" on the car screen you will see the mileage that the car has done.

It's not battery mileage done as that's not possible.

Also law requires (not sure which) you to show true mileage done

Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.
Where do you see this 7.5k? You sure you have it as miles and not km?

On the main page of the Tesla app at the bottom is the mileage driven and also if you hit the "T" on the car screen you will see the mileage that the car has done.

It's not battery mileage done as that's not possible.

Also law requires (not sure which) you to show true mileage done

Thanks for the reply! It’s definitely set to miles (says ‘mi’!) I see the 7.5k in the app and on the car screen exactly where you describe.

My mileage in the M3 has always seemed to increase faster than my previous ICE car when my driving hasn’t really changed. I thought I’d understood why when I came across the ‘miles driven’ (5.5k) and ‘rated miles used’ (7.5k) figures on Teslafi (by going to ‘Drives’ and then ‘Lifetime Map’).

Hmmmm....still confused!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! It’s definitely set to miles (says ‘mi’!)

My mileage in the M3 has always seemed to increase faster than my previous ICE car when my driving hasn’t really changed. I thought I’d understood why when I came across the ‘miles driven’ (5.5k) and ‘rated miles used’ (7.5k) figures on Teslafi (by going to ‘Drives’ and then ‘Lifetime Map’).

Hmmmm....still confused!
The miles shown on the odometer and in the app are the miles you’ve driven, the insurance company isn’t interested in anything else.

Reactions: Durzel
Thanks for the reply! It’s definitely set to miles (says ‘mi’!) I see the 7.5k in the app and on the car screen exactly where you describe.

Hmmmm....still confused!
Have you had Teslafi since day 0 on the M3? Teslafi only captures what you have driven with Teslafi connected. So if you had the M3 with 2k miles and then started teslafi, then teslafi would not report those 2k miles.

Teslafi does show your odometer in the top right corner on the main page

Have you had Teslafi since day 0 on the M3? Teslafi only captures what you have driven with Teslafi connected. So if you had the M3 with 2k miles and then started teslafi, then teslafi would not report those 2k miles.

Teslafi does show your odometer in the top right corner on the main page

I joined Teslafi about 2 months after pickup which could explain the difference. Any idea what ‘rates miles used’ on Teslafi means/how it’s calculated? It’s close to my odometer reading but not the same.

I joined Teslafi about 2 months after pickup which could explain the difference. Any idea what ‘rates miles used’ on Teslafi means/how it’s calculated? It’s close to my odometer reading but not the same.
I’m assuming Miles Driven are the clocked miles you have driven using TeslaFi, Rated Miles may be the energy used in total since you joined (Sentry mode on while parked etc) and use some calculation to determine this, although I’m not entirely sure.

Here is a view of mine and you can see Miles driven at 14,838 - Rated at 19,588 and my Odometer is showing 15,525. The last is the true milage the car has done. I started my Teslafi about a month later after i got the car.

TeslaFi Miles.JPG