Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Admiral - Littlebox Insurance for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm collecting my Y RWD in 2 weeks and have started hunting for insurance. So far, the cheapest I can see is Admiral Littlebox which is a telematics based insurance. Anybody here use them? I'm not worried about them tracking my diving patterns (I always keep within speed limits) but just wondering how they fit the black box into Tesla's? Anybody here with experience using Admiral Littlebox insurance? I currently use By Miles insurance for my 3 and they use Tesla API to track mileage, it doesn't need any additional hardware.

I'm collecting my Y RWD in 2 weeks and have started hunting for insurance. So far, the cheapest I can see is Admiral Littlebox which is a telematics based insurance. Anybody here use them? I'm not worried about them tracking my diving patterns (I always keep within speed limits) but just wondering how they fit the black box into Tesla's? Anybody here with experience using Admiral Littlebox insurance? I currently use By Miles insurance for my 3 and they use Tesla API to track mileage, it doesn't need any additional hardware.
We insured our son with Admiral when he first got his license a few years ago. Not on a Tesla, but a monitoring device was necessary to keep the insurance cost manageable. They supplied a small device that plugged into the 12v socket. Not sure how they would know if it were unplugged for a particular drive but the T&Cs said it needed to be used for a certain percentage of driving (I think it was like 90%). It was Admiral Plug and Drive so might be a different device for Littlebox.

I'd like to believe our son was a model of perfect driving, but wouldn't wager on it. Admiral gave periodic updates and he always got a perfect rating. So my sense was they do not look to find driving problems.

We insured our son with Admiral when he first got his license a few years ago. Not on a Tesla, but a monitoring device was necessary to keep the insurance cost manageable

My daughter too - quite some years ago. It needed to be mounted in the car vertically, and they provided some Velcro. If fell off often, with a heavy thud in the passenger footwell. No idea what they made of that sudden jolt ... but she got a discount on insurance at the end of the trial period.

I don't know what the savings are or the terms but my initial thoughts are DONT DO IT.
"Even" an RWD MY ( the slowest car Tesla make would think) has acceleration off the line that would embarrass most ICE sports cars. And using it does not feel like you are "thrashing" it like it would it an ICE since you get 100% of the power and torque from 0 rpm. No revving up and dropping the clutch required. As a result the normal rate of acceleration you default to in a Tesla tends to be significantly higher than in an ICE. Wwhen I pull away from Traffic lights, if I am at the front, the car behind me tends to become a distant speck without me even trying. I have an LR but imagine the same applies to an RWD.
My point is I suspect that what feels normal in a Tesla may send a Telematics box into melt down unless they have been re-calibrated for EV's which I doubt. So you may find yourself having to put the car in chill and drive like there is a takeaway on the passenger seat to avoid being called out by the device. Which will take all the fun out of owning a Tesla

I had it for cheap insurance.. it fits perfectly into the central armrest of the model Y and plugs in there, you get regular updates where their bot says lame things like 'don't drive as often' then for me after 3 months they asked for it back - it may be different if they actually notice any concerning habits but for most people on here who aren't teenagers it'll probably be the same.

Reactions: cyber_knight