Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD really worth the money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure what you are talking about here. FSD is currently selling on the website for $6,000 and described as NOA, lane change, auto park and summon. FSD is the term Tesla has chosen to use to describe these features.

If you are suggesting that they should have picked a different name to describe these features because full self driving is misleading, I would agree with that.

It’s really annoying that Tesla keeps re-defining these terms at will. On the one hand, Elon talks about Full Self Driving as something that will be feature complete by the end of the year. Eventually it will receive subsequent regulatory approval. And after that process plays out, we supposedly will be able to travel from coast to coast without having to touch the steering wheel. That was the “Full Self Driving” that was being pitched when I bought my car last fall. A future feature that one could pay for now.

So from what you say, it sounds like Tesla is has decided to call the feature set that exists in the cars *now* Full Self Driving. That seems at the least inaccurate, if not intentionally false. The feature set available requires driver input, which by definition cannot be Full Self Driving. It is at most, Simulated Full Self Driving.

I didn’t mind so much paying for a feature that does not yet exist. But I do mind very much when Tesla changes the definition of the term after the fact, and starts calling a current feature set something that it is definitely not.

I've been told that I'm in the honeymoon phase, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. My normal commutes is 120 miles a day, mostly in LA traffic. My first experience with FSD was yesterday on a commute from the Inland Empire to Santa Monica. Despite following the progress of FSD religiously over the years and watching hours of videos of the drives of others, it totally blew my mind. I took over a total of 3 times on the 2.5-hour drive. I took over twice because the car wasn't being aggressive enough for my taste during lane changes and once because a flatbed tow truck cut me off and the car wasn't stopping quickly enough for my comfort (this one falls under AP though). Value is always subjective but to me Navigate on Autopilot is worth every penny. I've done that commute 5 days a week for the last 9 years and for me the NoA experience was a total game changer.

Reactions: Misterbee and EinSV
EAP saved my rear a couple of times already . The diff to FSD is worth it even if just to futureproof the hardware if someone is on 2.x currently. Otherwise AP with lane departure avoidance is probably just as good if already on 3.0. That being said , EAP can’t deal w NYC traffic currently so it’s mostly useful on looooooooong boooooring drives up north. Just my 0.02$ :)
I have EAP as well and wouldn't spend $6k to get future FSD features at this point. My EAP isn't good enough in certain aspects of Jersey highway driving and traffic, so I don't think the residual FSD features are worth $6k (especially when those with basic AP get the full suite of upgrades for the same price).

Tesla's Navigate on Autopilot Requires Significant Driver Intervention

This article seems to echo the observations and concerns in my original post.

“This isn’t a convenience at all,” says CR’s Fisher. “Monitoring the system is much harder than just changing lanes yourself. Using the system is like monitoring a kid behind the wheel for the very first time. As any parent knows, it’s far more convenient and less stressful to simply drive yourself.”

This is as real a post as it gets. I feel the exact same way about my car when using AP, it's good to see someone else say it too even though before I even read the comments I’m sure the OP is getting roasted for speaking the truth. Is AP convenient sometimes? Absolutely. Is it worth the added stress? I’d be ok without it. Every time it fantom brakes or gets super confused on lane or abrupt changes made by other drivers I just smirk and think of the people that constantly talk about how later this year (or in 2020) their robotaxi car will help them pay for itself... best car I’ve owned, but let's keep it real here.

*Haven’t experienced navigate on AP so i don’t have an opinion on that other than it is obvious most videos of it working perfectly are edited to show that or are recorded in a perfect situation where even a new student driver would shine.

I know for a fact it’ll get better, but we are talking about as it exists right now. Not what’s coming.

No whining!

If you expect perfection, get another car and wait 10 years. Do not participate if you don't have the patience.
We are beta testers. Autopilot sucks in most situations today. And it is essential for many, in certain situations (slow traffic, three birds on the roof, etc.).

Someday soon, human drivers will be outlawed on most roads, for good reason. When humans are alert, we are outstanding drivers. The US has 40K auto fatalities per year, 90% are due to being Drugged, Drowsy, or Distracted. This number will be significantly reduced, once we can handle the machine doing the killing (just like we rely on automatic elevators today).

FSD will soon be very worth it, if you want to contribute. If you find a failed situation, document it. Create a "Bug Report" and send the dashcam video to Tesla. They listen and welcome the input.

This kind of accident has to stop now!
Tesla Model S driver walks away from violent head-on collision caught on video