Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it better to buy a USED tesla 2020 roadster shortly after it is released ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will certainly be people who will sell the tesla 2020 roadster a few months after it is released.

So would it be better to buy a slightly used tesla 2020 roadster than to put in the deposit for $50,000 now (it is now April 27, 2018) ?

The benefits of buying the slightly used one include the following:

1. You save some money since it is a used car
2. You probably get the car sooner than the people who just put in the deposit for this month in April. You are already about 5 months behind in the line.

The drawback includes:

1. It is used
2. There likely will be some defects that super early adopters will encounter with the car

I already put in my $50,000 for the new roadster. However, I only placed the deposit 2 weeks ago so I am really behind. I will probably encounter many Tesla 2020 roadsters on the road before I get mine........if the Model 3 is any indication.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
If people who put deposits down are still waiting for cars, you're going to be paying more than MSRP not less.

I doubt it will hit the Ferrari level, but the few early cars that do hit the open market go for waaay more than MSRP.

I doubt it will hit the Ferrari level, but the few early cars that do hit the open market go for waaay more than MSRP.

Let's revisit this in 2020/2021. I don't think there will be such a big premium for 'first production' Roadsters. In fact, I don't think there will be any premium at all. Anyone who wants one now can just put a down payment today at MSRP and get the car in 2020. I really don't think the existing reservation list is so deep that the wait for someone even reserving today is going to be that long.

That said, I intend to sell my referral award 'founder's edition' right off the line (i.e. new, not used). I would be thrilled beyond belief if they are going for more than MSRP when the time comes. So while I believe there won't be a premium, I sure as hope there will be.

• Funny
Reactions: croman