TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it better to buy a USED tesla 2020 roadster shortly after it is released ?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by SanDiegoGuy, Apr 27, 2018.

1. SanDiegoGuy

SanDiegoGuy Member

There will certainly be people who will sell the tesla 2020 roadster a few months after it is released.

So would it be better to buy a slightly used tesla 2020 roadster than to put in the deposit for $50,000 now (it is now April 27, 2018) ?

The benefits of buying the slightly used one include the following:

1. You save some money since it is a used car
    2. You probably get the car sooner than the people who just put in the deposit for this month in April. You are already about 5 months behind in the line.

The drawback includes:

1. It is used
    2. There likely will be some defects that super early adopters will encounter with the car

I already put in my $50,000 for the new roadster. However, I only placed the deposit 2 weeks ago so I am really behind. I will probably encounter many Tesla 2020 roadsters on the road before I get mine........if the Model 3 is any indication.

• Funny x 1
  2. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

If people who put deposits down are still waiting for cars, you're going to be paying more than MSRP not less.

I doubt it will hit the Ferrari level, but the few early cars that do hit the open market go for waaay more than MSRP.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Let's revisit this in 2020/2021. I don't think there will be such a big premium for 'first production' Roadsters. In fact, I don't think there will be any premium at all. Anyone who wants one now can just put a down payment today at MSRP and get the car in 2020. I really don't think the existing reservation list is so deep that the wait for someone even reserving today is going to be that long.

That said, I intend to sell my referral award 'founder's edition' right off the line (i.e. new, not used). I would be thrilled beyond belief if they are going for more than MSRP when the time comes. So while I believe there won't be a premium, I sure as hope there will be.

• Funny x 1